2020 Mississippi Code
Title 21 - Municipalities
Chapter 29 - Employees' Retirement and Disability Systems
Article 7 - Miscellaneous Provisions
§ 21-29-331. Persons to whom benefits payable in event of death or disqualification of designated beneficiary
- Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, where benefits are payable to a designated beneficiary or beneficiaries under Article 1, 3 or 5 of this chapter and the designated beneficiary or beneficiaries as provided by the member on the most recent form filed with the system is deceased or otherwise disqualified at the time such benefits become payable, the following persons, in descending order of precedence, shall be eligible to receive such benefits:
- The surviving spouse of the member or retiree;
- The children of the member or retiree or their descendants, per stirpes;
- The brothers and sisters of the member or retiree or their descendants, per stirpes;
- The parents of the member or retiree;
- The executor or administrator on behalf of the member or retiree's estate;
- The persons entitled by law to distribution of the member or retiree's estate.
- Any monthly benefits payable to a beneficiary who dies prior to cashing his or her final check(s) and/or any additional benefits payable pursuant to a cost-of-living adjustment still payable at the death of a beneficiary receiving monthly benefits shall be paid as follows:
- The surviving spouse of the beneficiary;
- The children of the beneficiary or their descendants, per stirpes;
- The brothers and sisters of the beneficiary or their descendants, per stirpes;
- The parents of the beneficiary;
- The executor or administrator on behalf of the beneficiary's estate;
- The persons entitled by law to distribution of the beneficiary's estate.
- In the event no claim is made by any individual listed in subsection (2) of this section, a distribution may be made pursuant to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section.
- Payment under the provisions of this section shall bar recovery by any other person of the benefits distributed. Payment of benefits made to one or more members of a class of individuals are made on behalf of all members of the class. Any members of the class coming forward after payment is made must look to those who received the payment.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.