2018 Mississippi Code
Title 73 - Professions and Vocations
Chapter 4 - Auctioneers
§ 73-4-33. Procedure for recovery on bonds; exclusivity of remedy.
(1) If any licensee fails, or is alleged to have failed, to meet the obligations under this chapter and the rules and regulations promulgated hereunder, the commission shall hold a hearing and determine whether there has been such a failure, determine those persons who are proven claimants under the bond and, if appropriate, distribute the bond proceeds to the proven claimants.
(2) Actions upon the bond and the right to payment under the bond shall extend solely to the commission, except that if the commission has not initiated action under the bond by scheduling and holding a hearing, by litigation or otherwise, within thirty (30) days of a written request to do so, any claimant may initiate an action in the Circuit Court of Hinds County, Mississippi, to require the commission to take action.
(3) If, after a hearing, the commission determines that proven claims exceed the amount of the bond proceeds, the proceeds shall be prorated among proven claimants in the ratio that the amount of their proven claim bears to the total amount of all proven claims.
(4) The determination of the commission as to the fact and the amount of liability under the bond and the amount distributed to the claimants under the bond shall be binding upon the principal and surety of the bond.
(5) All hearings held under this section shall be held in accordance with the laws of this state.
(6) The existence of the bond and the bond recovery procedure shall in no way affect or alter any other right or remedy which a person may have under applicable law.