2019 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 257 - Motor Vehicles
Act 300 of 1949 Michigan Vehicle Code (257.1 - 257.923)
300-1949-VI Chapter Vi Obedience to and Effect of Traffic Laws (257.601...257.750)
Section 257.606 Regulation of Streets or Highways Under Jurisdiction of Local Authority and Within Reasonable Exercise of Police Power; Accepted Engineering Practices as Basis for Regulations; Stop Sign or Traffic Control Device Requiring State Trunk Line Highway Traffic to Stop; Approval; Posting Signs Giving Notice of Local Traffic Regulations; Providing by Ordinance for Impounding of Motor Vehicle Parked Contrary to Local Ordinance; Bond or Cash Deposit.
(1) This chapter does not prevent a local authority with respect to streets or highways under the jurisdiction of the local authority and within the reasonable exercise of the police power from doing any of the following:
(a) Regulating the standing or parking of vehicles.
(b) Regulating the impoundment or immobilization of vehicles whose owner has failed to answer 6 or more parking violation notices or citations regarding illegal parking.
(c) Regulating traffic by means of police officers or traffic control signals.
(d) Regulating or prohibiting processions or assemblages on the highways or streets.
(e) Designating particular highways as 1-way highways and requiring that all vehicles on those highways be moved in 1 specific direction, or designating particular highways as 2-way highways.
(f) Designating any highway as a through highway and requiring that all vehicles stop before entering or crossing the through highway; designating any intersection as a stop intersection and requiring all vehicles to stop at 1 or more entrances to the intersection; or designating any intersection as a yield intersection and requiring all vehicles to yield the right of way at 1 or more entrances to the intersection.
(g) Restricting the use of highways as authorized in section 726.
(h) Regulating the operation of bicycles and requiring the registration and licensing of bicycles, including the requirement of a registration fee.
(i) Regulating or prohibiting the turning of vehicles at intersections.
(j) Adopting other traffic regulations as are specifically authorized by this chapter.
(2) All traffic regulations described in subsection (1) shall be based on standard and accepted engineering practices as specified in the Michigan manual on uniform traffic control devices.
(3) A local authority shall not erect or maintain a stop sign or traffic control device that requires the traffic on any state trunk line highway to stop before entering or crossing any intersecting highway unless approval in writing has been first obtained from the director of the state transportation department.
(4) An ordinance or regulation enacted under subsection (1)(a), (d), (e), (f), (g), (i), or (j) are not enforceable until signs giving notice of the local traffic regulations are posted upon or at the entrance to the highway or street or part of the highway or street affected, as may be most appropriate, and are sufficiently legible as to be seen by an ordinarily observant person. The posting of signs giving the notice is not required for a local ordinance that does not differ from the provisions of this act regulating the parking or standing of vehicles or for ordinances of general application throughout the jurisdiction of the municipalities enacting the ordinances that prohibit, limit, or restrict all night parking or parking during the early morning hours, if signs, approximately 3 feet by 4 feet, and sufficiently legible as to be seen by an ordinarily observant person, giving notice of these ordinances relating to all night parking or parking during the early morning hours, are posted on highways at the corporate limits of the municipality.
(5) A local authority, in providing by ordinance for the impounding of any motor vehicle parked contrary to a local ordinance, shall not require a bond or cash deposit by the owner of the motor vehicle in excess of $500.00 in order to recover the possession of the motor vehicle pending final adjudication of the case.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1951, Act 270, Eff. Sept. 28, 1951 ;-- Am. 1952, Act 254, Eff. Sept. 18, 1952 ;-- Am. 1955, Act 165, Imd. Eff. June 13, 1955 ;-- Am. 1980, Act 518, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981 ;-- Am. 2016, Act 448, Eff. Jan. 5, 2018 ;-- Am. 2018, Act 440, Eff. Mar. 21, 2019