2019 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 257 - Motor Vehicles
Act 300 of 1949 Michigan Vehicle Code (257.1 - 257.923)
300-1949-VI Chapter Vi Obedience to and Effect of Traffic Laws (257.601...257.750)
- Section 257.601 Applicability of Chapter to Operations on Highways; Exceptions.
- Section 257.601a Private Road Open to General Public; Contract; Enforcement of Act; Cost and Posting of Signs; Contracts Not Affected; "Private Road That Is Open to the General Public" Defined.
- Section 257.601b Moving Violation in Work Zone, Emergency Scene, School Zone, or School Bus Zone; Penalties; Exceptions; Definitions.
- Section 257.601c Moving Violation Causing Injury or Death to Person Operating Implement of Husbandry on Highway.
- Section 257.601d Person Who Commits Moving Violation That Is the Proximate Cause of Death of Another Person or Serious Impairment of Body Function; Penalty; Other Violations; "Moving Violation" Defined.
- Section 257.602 Compliance With Order or Direction of Police Officer.
- Section 257.602a Failure to Stop at Signal of Police or Conservation Officer; Penalty; Subsection (1) Inapplicable Unless Officer in Uniform and Vehicle Identified; Violation of Subsection (1) as Felony; Conviction for Conduct Arising Out of Same Transaction; “Serious Injury” Defined.
- Section 257.602b Reading, Typing, or Sending Text Message on Wireless 2-Way Communication Device Prohibited; Use of Hand-Held Mobile Telephone Prohibited; Exceptions; "Use a Hand-Held Mobile Telephone" Defined; Violation as Civil Infraction; Fine; Local Ordinances Superseded.
- Section 257.602c Individual Issued Level 1 or 2 Graduated License; Use of Cellular Telephone Prohibited; Exceptions; Violation as Civil Infraction; Local Ordinance; Section Known and Cited as "Kelsey's law."
- Section 257.603 Applicability of Chapter to Government Vehicles; Exemption of Authorized Emergency Vehicles; Conditions; Exemption of Police Vehicles Not Sounding Audible Signal; Exemption of Persons, Vehicles, and Equipment Working on Surface of Highway.
- Section 257.604 Riding Animal or Driving Animal-Drawn Vehicle on Roadway; Rights and Duties.
- Section 257.605 Applicability and Uniformity of Provisions; Local Laws and Regulations; Payment and Allocation of Civil Fines; Issuance of More Than 1 Citation; Equipment Violations; "Local Law" Defined.
- Section 257.606 Regulation of Streets or Highways Under Jurisdiction of Local Authority and Within Reasonable Exercise of Police Power; Accepted Engineering Practices as Basis for Regulations; Stop Sign or Traffic Control Device Requiring State Trunk Line Highway Traffic to Stop; Approval; Posting Signs Giving Notice of Local Traffic Regulations; Providing by Ordinance for Impounding of Motor Vehicle Parked Contrary to Local Ordinance; Bond or Cash Deposit.
- Section 257.606a Maintenance of Highway by State or Local Government; Duty; Immunity From Tort Liability; Exception.
- Section 257.606b On-Demand Automated Motor Vehicle Network; Operation.
- Section 257.607 Realty Owners' Regulation of Traffic on Private Property.
- 300-1949-VI-TRAFFIC-SIGNS-SIGNALS-AND-MARKINGS Traffic Signs, Signals, and Markings (257.608...257.616a)
- 300-1949-VI-ACCIDENTS Accidents (257.617...257.624b)
- 300-1949-VI-DRIVING-WHILE-INTOXICATED-AND-RECKLESS-DRIVING Driving While Intoxicated, and Reckless Driving (257.625...257.626c)
- 300-1949-VI-SPEED-RESTRICTIONS Speed Restrictions (257.627...257.633)
- 300-1949-VI-DRIVING-ON-RIGHT-SIDE-OF-ROADWAY—OVERTAKING-AND-PASS Driving on Right Side of Roadway—overtaking and Passing, Etc. (257.634...257.646)
- 300-1949-VI-TURNING-AND-STARTING-AND-SIGNALS-ON-STOPPING-AND-TUR Turning and Starting and Signals on Stopping and Turning (257.647...257.648)
- 300-1949-VI-RIGHT-OF-WAY Right-of-Way (257.649...257.655)
- 300-1949-VI-OPERATION-OF-BICYCLES-MOTORCYCLES-AND-TOY-VEHICLES Operation of Bicycles, Motorcycles and Toy Vehicles (257.656...257.662a)
- 300-1949-VI-AUTOMATED-VEHICLES Automated Vehicles (257.663...257.666)
- 300-1949-VI-SPECIAL-STOPS-REQUIRED Special Stops Required (257.667...257.671)
- 300-1949-VI-STOPPING-STANDING-AND-PARKING Stopping, Standing and Parking (257.672...257.675d)
- 300-1949-VI-MISCELLANEOUS-RULES Miscellaneous Rules (257.676...257.682c)
- 300-1949-VI-EQUIPMENT Equipment (257.683... 257.714b)
- 300-1949-VI-INSPECTION-OF-VEHICLES Inspection of Vehicles (257.715...257.715a)
- 300-1949-VI-SIZE-WEIGHT-AND-LOAD Size, Weight and Load (257.716...257.750)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.