2017 Michigan Compiled Laws
Chapter 500 - Insurance Code of 1956
Act 218 of 1956 THE INSURANCE CODE OF 1956 (500.100 - 500.8302)
218-1956-81A CHAPTER 81a FRATERNAL BENEFIT SOCIETIES (500.8161...500.8199a)
- Section 500.8161 Definitions.
- Section 500.8162 Society governed by chapter; exemption.
- Section 500.8163 Society as charitable and benevolent institution; tax exemption.
- Section 500.8164 Definition of fraternal benefit society.
- Section 500.8165 Society operating on lodge system; requirements; lodges for children.
- Section 500.8166 Representative form of government; requirements; postponement of society meetings.
- Section 500.8167 Society operating for benefit of members and their beneficiaries; requirements; subsidiary corporations or affiliated organizations; laws and rules; additional powers.
- Section 500.8168 Specification of eligibility standards, admission process, and rights and privileges; social members; rights personal and not assignable.
- Section 500.8169 Principal office of domestic society; meetings of supreme governing body; validity of business transacted; minutes; official publication; report, notice, or statement; mailing or publication of synopsis of annual statement; grievance or complaint procedures.
- Section 500.8170 Personal liability; indemnification and reimbursement; purchase of insurance.
- Section 500.8171 Waiver of society's laws.
- Section 500.8172 Formation of domestic fraternal society; requirements; filing documents; bond; certifying, retaining, and filing articles of incorporation; preliminary certificate of authority; solicitation of members; collection of premium; receipt; liability; issuance of certificate; paying or allowing benefit; examination; information; evidence of compliance; issuance of certificate of authority; certificate as evidence; record.
- Section 500.8173 Reincorporation not required.
- Section 500.8174 Amendment to laws.
- Section 500.8175 Not for profit institution; purposes; reporting real or personal property.
- Section 500.8176 Reinsurance agreement.
- Section 500.8177 Consolidation or merger; compliance; filings; approval of contract; issuance of certificate; effective date; vesting of rights, franchises, and interest; affidavit as evidence of mailing notice or documents; payment of expenses and compensation; itemized statement of expenses; consolidation or merger subject to MCL 500.7604.
- Section 500.8178 Domestic fraternal benefit society as mutual life insurance company.
- Section 500.8179 Contractual benefits; specifying persons covered in rules.
- Section 500.8180 Changing beneficiary; limiting scope of beneficiary designations; vested interest of revocable beneficiary; payment of funeral benefits; payment of benefit to personal representative or owner of certificate.
- Section 500.8181 Attachment, garnishment, or other process.
- Section 500.8182 Benefit contracts.
- Section 500.8183 Value of paid-up nonforfeiture benefit; amount of cash surrender value, loan, or other option granted.
- Section 500.8184 Investments generally.
- Section 500.8185 Assets; special fund; accounts; issuance of contracts on variable basis; special procedures; special voting and other rights.
- Section 500.8186 Standards of valuation for certificates; excess reserves.
- Section 500.8187 Reports; annual statement; valuation of certificates; penalty.
- Section 500.8188 Duration of license or authorization to transact business; copy of license as evidence.
- Section 500.8189 Examination of society.
- Section 500.8190 Foreign or alien society; license required; compliance; conditions.
- Section 500.8191 Domestic society; deficiencies; notice; request for correction; noncompliance; action to enjoin or action in quo warranto; hearing; order; findings; liquidation; recognition of action; receiver; voluntary determination to discontinue business.
- Section 500.8192 Foreign or alien society; deficiencies; notice; request for correction; noncompliance; suspension, revocation, or refusal of license; contracts.
- Section 500.8193 Application or petition for injunction; recognition.
- Section 500.8194 Agent of society; license required; exceptions.
- Section 500.8195 Society subject to chapter 20.
- Section 500.8196 Service of process.
- Section 500.8197 False or fraudulent statement or representation as misdemeanor or perjury; violation of MCL 500.8177 as felony; soliciting or procuring membership in unlicensed society as misdemeanor; violation of or noncompliance with chapter; penalties.
- Section 500.8198 Decisions and findings of commissioner; judicial review.
- Section 500.8199 Exemptions.
- Section 500.8199a Additional chapters and provisions applicable to fraternal benefit society.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.