2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
PROBATE CODE OF 1939 (EXCERPT)
Chapters 701 - 713 - PROBATE CODE
Act 288 of 1939 - PROBATE CODE OF 1939 (701.1 - 713.6)
288-1939-X - CHAPTER X MICHIGAN ADOPTION CODE (710.1...710.70)
Act 288 of 1939 Chapter X
MICHIGAN ADOPTION CODE
- Section 710.1-710.14 - Repealed. 1974, Act 296, Eff. Jan. 1, 1975.
- Section 710.21 - Short title of act; Michigan adoption code.
- Section 710.21a - General purposes of chapter.
- Section 710.21b - Court order or decree issued in another country; rights and obligations of parties.
- Section 710.22 - Definitions.
- Section 710.22a - Adoption placement or issuance of order prohibited; convictions.
- Section 710.23 - Hearing appeal brought under MCL 400.115k; powers of court.
- Section 710.23a - Direct placement by parent or guardian of child for adoption; temporary placement; formal placement; selection by parent or guardian not delegated; information to be provided by prospective adoptive parent, adoption attorney, or child placing agency; placement of child with stepparent or relative; attendance of child at hearing.
- Section 710.23b - Placement of child by child placing agency or department of social services; written authorization from parent or guardian for temporary placement; assistance; involvement of parent or guardian in selection of adoptive parent; validity of authorization.
- Section 710.23c - Placement of child by court.
- Section 710.23d - Temporary placement; procedures.
- Section 710.23e - Temporary placement; hearing to determine custody; petition; ex parte order to return child to parent or guardian; petition requesting court jurisdiction; temporary disposition; powers of court; act as exclusive remedy.
- Section 710.23f - Preplacement assessment.
- Section 710.24 - Petition for adoption; filing; jurisdiction; verification; contents.
- Section 710.24a - Interested parties; appointment of guardian to defeat parent's status as interested party.
- Section 710.25 - Proceedings; priority; disposition; adjournment or continuance.
- Section 710.26 - Documentation required; informing adoptee and adoptive parents of MCL 710.27a, 710.27b, 710.68, 710.68a, and 710.68b; applicability of subsection (2); providing adoptee and adoptive parents with list of adoption support groups; applicability of subsection (3).
- Section 710.27 - Nonidentifying information to be provided prospective adoptive parent; time of submission; supplemental information; compilation; maintenance; transmission; destruction of information as misdemeanor; forwarding adoption records; adoptions to which section applicable; exchanging identifying information.
- Section 710.27a - Statement consenting to or denying release of identifying information; statement providing notice that former parent deceased; statement releasing adult former sibling's name and address; presumption of release of certain identifying information.
- Section 710.27b - Central adoption registry; establishment; maintenance; statements to be kept on file; forms; transmission of clearance reply; attachments; transmission of statement releasing former adult sibling's name and address.
- Section 710.28 - Release; persons authorized to execute; release to child placing agency or department; advising parent or guardian of child placing agencies; advising agencies of child's availability for adoption; release of child by agency to department; child as state ward; proof accompanying release.
- Section 710.29 - Release; separate instrument; persons before whom release executed and acknowledged; execution in another state or country; investigation; explaining legal rights to parent or guardian; order terminating rights; order committing child; foster care funding; termination of jurisdiction; hearing to consider revocation of release.
- Section 710.31 - Child born out of wedlock; inability to obtain release or consent of natural father; release by mother; petition of dependency or neglect; order authorizing temporary care; delaying formal execution of mother's release.
- Section 710.33 - Notice of intent to claim paternity.
- Section 710.34 - Ex parte petition evidencing intent to release or consent; notice of intent to release or consent; form.
- Section 710.36 - Hearing to determine whether child born out of wedlock and to determine identity and rights of father; filing proof of service of notice of intent or acknowledgment; copy of notice of intent to claim paternity; notice of hearing; contents; filing proof of service of notice of hearing; waiver; evidence of identity; adjournment of proceedings.
- Section 710.37 - Termination of rights of putative father.
- Section 710.39 - Inquiry into fitness of putative father; determining best interests of child; termination of rights of putative father; order granting custody to putative father and legitimating child; fee; report.
- Section 710.41 - Conditions to placing child in home for purpose of adoption; adoption by foster parent or by petitioner married to parent having legal custody.
- Section 710.43 - Consent to adoption; persons authorized to execute.
- Section 710.44 - Consent to adoption; separate instrument; persons before whom consent executed and acknowledged; execution in another state or country; investigation; explaining legal rights of parent or guardian; conditions to execution of adoptee's consent to adoption.
- Section 710.45 - Withholding of consent by representative or court; motion by petitioner; decision by court; termination of rights; entering orders; appeal.
- Section 710.46 - Investigation; considerations; report; waiver.
- Section 710.48 - Repealed. 1980, Act 288, Eff. Oct. 17, 1980.
- Section 710.51 - Order terminating rights of parents or person in loco parentis; extension of time; conditions; child as ward of court; termination of jurisdiction; marriage of petitioner to parent having legal custody; placement without making child ward of court; evidence; order terminating rights of divorced or unmarried parent not having legal custody; conditions; consent to services for child by prospective adoptive parents.
- Section 710.52 - Supervision of child; reports.
- Section 710.54 - Prohibitions as to money or other consideration or thing of value; statement; compensation for certain activities prohibited; payment of charges; documents filed with court; assuring compliance; approval of fees and expenses; violation.
- Section 710.55 - Persons authorized to place child for adoption or solicit biological or adoptive parents; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; “solicit” defined.
- Section 710.55a - Representation by attorney.
- Section 710.56 - Order of adoption; time; waiver; extension of time; hearing; effect of filing petition for rehearing or appeal from order terminating parental rights; conditions; adoption of adult.
- Section 710.56a - Repealed. 2008, Act 331, Eff. Dec. 18, 2008.
- Section 710.58 - Order of adoption; certified copies.
- Section 710.58a - Information to be forwarded by court; “primary adoption facilitator” and “public information form” defined.
- Section 710.59 - Changing name of adopted child; effect on order of adoption and exemplification of record.
- Section 710.60 - Adoptee to be known and called by new name; status and liability of persons adopting adoptee; rights and duties of adopted person; adopted person as heir at law; order for grandparenting time.
- Section 710.62 - Effect of denying order of adoption.
- Section 710.63 - Denial of petition or motion or failure to issue order; statement by court.
- Section 710.64 - Rehearing; modifying or setting aside order; entering order with respect to original hearing or rehearing of contested matters.
- Section 710.65 - Appeal to court of appeals; staying court order pending appeal; priority.
- Section 710.66 - Adult adoptee; rescinding adoption by stepparent and restoring parental rights of parent; rescission petition; filing new certificate of birth; hearing; certified copies; effect of entry of order of rescission.
- Section 710.67 - Disposition of adoption records; copying or inspecting records; petition; notice and hearing; granting or denying petition; disclosing names of biological or adoptive parents; certified copy of new birth certificate; powers and duties of children's ombudsman.
- Section 710.68 - Nonidentifying and identifying information; request; availability; release; request for adoption record information; identity of court or child placing agency; counseling; list of adoption support groups; transmitting information of medical or genetic condition; return of information undelivered; placement of information in adoption files; releasing or transmitting copies; information returned undelivered; notice to department of public health; sealing original and preparing new birth certificate; release of identifying information as misdemeanor; adoptions to which section applicable; “adult adoptee” defined; fees; waiver; powers and duties of children's ombudsman.
- Section 710.68a - Providing information pamphlet, list of adoption support groups, and information about MCL 710.27a, 710.27b, 710.68 and 710.68b; placement of requester's current address in adoption files.
- Section 710.68b - Definitions; petition to appoint confidential intermediary to search for and contact former family member; approval; training; oath of confidentiality; duties of confidential intermediary; acceptance of money or other value; failure to contact former family member.
- Section 710.69 - Violation of MCL 710.41 as felony.
- Section 710.70 - Prior adoption proceedings or orders of adoption.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.