2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACT (EXCERPT)
Chapter 30 - CIVILIAN DEFENSE
Act 390 of 1976 - EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ACT (30.401 - 30.421)
Section 30.407a - Emergency management division; establishment; purpose; employees; emergency management plan; grants; powers of division; definition.
Act 390 of 1976
30.407a Emergency management division; establishment; purpose; employees; emergency management plan; grants; powers of division; definition.
(1) The department shall establish an emergency management division for the purpose of coordinating within this state the emergency management activities of county, municipal, state, and federal governments. The department shall provide the division with professional and support employees as necessary for the performance of its functions.
(2) The division shall prepare and maintain a Michigan emergency management plan that is a comprehensive plan that encompasses mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery for this state.
(3) The division shall receive available state and federal emergency management and disaster related grants-in-aid and shall administer and apportion the grants according to appropriately established guidelines to the agencies of this state and local political subdivisions.
(4) The division may do 1 or more of the following:
(a) Promulgate rules that establish standards and requirements for the appointment, training, and professional development of emergency management coordinators.
(b) Promulgate rules that establish standards and requirements for local and interjurisdictional emergency management programs.
(c) Periodically review local and interjurisdictional emergency operations plans.
(d) Promulgate rules that establish standards and requirements for emergency training and exercising programs and public information programs.
(e) Make surveys of industries, resources, and facilities within this state, both public and private, necessary to carry out the purposes of this act.
(f) Prepare, for issuance by the governor, executive orders, proclamations, and regulations as necessary or appropriate in coping with disasters and emergencies.
(g) Provide for 1 or more state emergency operations centers to provide for the coordination of emergency response and disaster recovery in this state.
(h) Provide for the coordination and cooperation of state agencies and departments with federal and local government agencies and departments in emergency management activities.
(i) Cooperate with the federal government and any public or private agency or entity in achieving any purpose of this act and in implementing programs for disaster mitigation, preparation, response, and recovery.
(j) Propose and administer statewide mutual aid compacts and agreements.
(k) Do other activities necessary, incidental, or appropriate for the implementation of this act.
(5) For purposes of this section, the judicial branch of this state is considered a department of state government.
(6) As used in this section, “division” means the emergency management division of the department.
History: Add. 1990, Act 50, Imd. Eff. Apr. 6, 1990 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 132, Eff. May 1, 2002
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.