2010 Michigan Compiled Laws
MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW (EXCERPT)
Chapter 168 - MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW
Act 116 of 1954 - MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW (168.1 - 168.992)
116-1954-XXII - CHAPTER XXII INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM (168.471...168.488)
Section 168.482 - Petitions; size; form; contents.
Act 116 of 1954
168.482 Petitions; size; form; contents.
(1) Each petition under this section shall be 8-1/2 inches by 14 inches in size.
(2) If the measure to be submitted proposes a constitutional amendment, initiation of legislation, or referendum of legislation, the heading of each part of the petition shall be prepared in the following form and printed in capital letters in 14-point boldfaced type:
INITIATIVE PETITION AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION OR INITIATION OF LEGISLATION OR REFERENDUM OF LEGISLATION PROPOSED BY INITIATIVE PETITION
(3) The full text of the amendment so proposed shall follow and be printed in 8-point type. If the proposal would alter or abrogate an existing provision of the constitution, the petition shall so state and the provisions to be altered or abrogated shall be inserted, preceded by the words:
"Provisions of existing constitution altered or abrogated by the proposal if adopted."
(4) The following statement shall appear beneath the petition heading:
"We, the undersigned qualified and registered electors, residents in the city township (strike 1) of .......... in the county of .........., state of Michigan, respectively petition for (amendment to constitution) (initiation of legislation) (referendum of legislation) (other appropriate description).".
(5) The following warning shall be printed in 12-point type immediately above the place for signatures, on each part of the petition:
A person who knowingly signs this petition more than once, signs a name other than his or her own, signs when not a qualified and registered elector, or sets opposite his or her signature on a petition, a date other than the actual date the signature was affixed, is violating the provisions of the Michigan election law.
(6) The remainder of the petition form shall be as provided following the warning to electors signing the petition in section 544c(1). In addition, the petition shall comply with the requirements of section 544c(2).
History: 1954, Act 116, Eff. June 1, 1955 ;-- Am. 1965, Act 312, Eff. Jan. 1, 1966 ;-- Am. 1993, Act 137, Eff. Jan. 1, 1994 ;-- Am. 1998, Act 142, Eff. Mar. 23, 1999
Popular Name: Election Code
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Michigan may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.