2018 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Firearms
Subtitle 3 - Handgun Permits
§ 5-305. Criminal history records check
(a) "Central Repository" defined. -- In this section, "Central Repository" means the Criminal Justice Information System Central Repository of the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.
(b) Application required. -- Except as provided in subsection (g) of this section, the Secretary shall apply to the Central Repository for a State and national criminal history records check for each applicant for a permit.
(c) Contents of application. -- As part of the application for a criminal history records check, the Secretary shall submit to the Central Repository:
(1) two complete sets of the applicant's legible fingerprints taken on forms approved by the Director of the Central Repository and the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation;
(2) the fee authorized under § 10-221(b)(7) of the Criminal Procedure Article for access to Maryland criminal history records; and
(3) the mandatory processing fee required by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a national criminal history records check.
(d) Information forwarded to applicant and State Police. -- In accordance with §§ 10-201 through 10-234 of the Criminal Procedure Article, the Central Repository shall forward to the applicant and the Secretary a printed statement of the applicant's criminal history record information.
(e) Restrictions on information. -- Information obtained from the Central Repository under this section:
(1) is confidential and may not be disseminated; and
(2) shall be used only for the licensing purpose authorized by this section.
(f) Subject may contest contents. -- The subject of a criminal history records check under this section may contest the contents of the printed statement issued by the Central Repository as provided in § 10-223 of the Criminal Procedure Article.
(g) Employee of armored car company. -- For an employee of an armored car company who is an applicant for a permit, the Secretary may accept a criminal background investigation performed on behalf of the armored car company in place of the criminal history records check required by this section if:
(1) the criminal background investigation meets the minimum requirements established by the Department of State Police; and
(2) the Secretary performs a cursory check to verify the facts listed in the criminal background investigation.