2017 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 10 - Uninsured Employers
§ 9-1009. Notice and payment of assessments; disposition of money collected
- (a) Notice of assessment. -- When the Commission imposes an assessment on an employer under this subtitle, the Commission shall mail the employer notice of the assessment.
- (b) Payment of assessment. -- An employer shall pay an assessment under this subtitle into the Fund within 10 days after the date that notice of the assessment is mailed to the employer.
- (c) Default; entry of judgment. -- If an employer fails to pay an assessment in accordance with subsection (b) of this section, the default constitutes a default in payment of compensation and judgment shall be entered as in a case of default in payment of compensation.
- (d) Distribution of money collected in connection with claim but not payable from fund. -- Except for fines collected under § 9-1108 of this title, all money collected from an uninsured employer with respect to any claim for compensation but not payable from the Fund, whether collected before or after entry of a judgment against the employer, shall be:
- (1) first, considered payment of and applied to any compensation or benefits due or security demanded from the employer in connection with the claim; and
- (2) second, considered payment of and applied to assessments imposed under this subtitle.
- (e) Disposition of money for failure to pay assessments or compensation and benefits. -- All money recovered from uninsured employers on judgments entered for failure to pay assessments and for failure to pay compensation and benefits that were paid from the Fund shall be paid into the Fund.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.