2017 Maryland Code
Labor and Employment
Title 9 - Workers' Compensation
Subtitle 10 - Uninsured Employers
§ 9-1008. Assessment -- Compensation abated or not awarded; death without dependent
- (a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to an award against the Subsequent Injury Fund.
- (b) Compensation abated or not awarded. -- The Commission shall impose an assessment of 10%, not exceeding $ 4,500, against compensation awarded or likely to be awarded against an insured or self-insured employer and not paid if the Commission determines that the compensation is not awarded or is abated because of:
- (1) death; or
- (2) lack of a covered employee or a dependent of a covered employee eligible for the compensation.
- (c) Death without dependent. -- On expiration of the time period within which a claim may be filed under this title, the Commission shall assess the insurer or self-insured employer $ 4,500 if a covered employee dies:
- (1) due to an accidental personal injury or occupational disease; and
- (2) without any surviving dependent.
- (d) Payment to Fund. -- The Commission shall direct payment of an assessment under subsection (b) or (c) of this section into the Fund.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.