2017 Maryland Code
Title 5 - Controlled Dangerous Substances, Prescriptions, and Other Substances
Subtitle 6 - Crimes Involving Controlled Dangerous Substances and Paraphernalia
Part III - Related and Derivative Crimes
§ 5-618. Possession or purchase of noncontrolled substance
- (a) Prohibited. -- Except as authorized in this title, a person may not possess or purchase a noncontrolled substance that the person reasonably believes is a controlled dangerous substance.
- (b) Considerations. -- To determine if a person has violated this section, the court shall include in its consideration:
- (1) whether the noncontrolled substance was packaged in a manner normally used to illegally distribute a controlled dangerous substance;
- (2) if the noncontrolled substance was purchased, whether the amount of the consideration was substantially greater than the reasonable value of the noncontrolled substance; and
- (3) whether the physical appearance of the noncontrolled substance is substantially identical to that of a controlled dangerous substance.
- (c) Reasonable belief not a defense. -- It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the substance a person possessed or purchased was not a controlled dangerous substance if the person reasonably believed that it was a controlled dangerous substance.
- (d) Penalty. -- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $ 500 or both.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.