2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 7 - PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
Section 7-119 - Reporting class size.
§ 7-119. Reporting class size.
(a) "Classroom teacher" defined.-
(1) In this section, "classroom teacher" means a teacher who is primarily responsible and accountable for the students in that class.
(2) "Classroom teacher" does not include:
(i) Curriculum specialists;
(ii) Guidance counselors;
(iv) Media specialists;
(v) Instructional aides;
(vi) Attendance personnel;
(vii) Health services personnel;
(ix) Social workers;
(x) Clerical personnel;
(xi) Community college staff; or
(xii) Any other individual whose job does not require skill in the field of education and who is not responsible for the day-to-day instruction of the same group of students.
(b) Development of method to track class size.-
(1) By the beginning of the 2012-2013 academic year, the Department shall develop a uniform data collection method to track the number of students who regularly participate in a classroom teacher's class.
(2) The uniform data collection method developed under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall reflect the number of students who participate in a classroom teacher's class as of September 30 of each year.
(c) Implementation of tracking method; reporting.- Beginning with the 2012-2013 academic year, each county board shall:
(1) Implement the uniform data collection method developed under subsection (b) of this section; and
(2) Report the results of the data collection to the Department on or before December 1 of each year.
(d) Report.- On or before January 31 of each year, the Department shall report to the General Assembly, in accordance with § 2-1246 of the State Government Article, on the data obtained under subsection (c)(2) of this section.
[2009, chs. 638, 639.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.