2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 7 - PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
Section 7-111 - Access to military recruiters.
§ 7-111. Access to military recruiters.
(a) In general.- Subject to subsection (b) of this section, each public school under the jurisdiction of a county board that provides access to its buildings and grounds or its student information directory to any person or group which makes students aware of occupational or educational options shall provide access on the same basis to official recruiting representatives of the military forces of this State and the United States for the purpose of informing students of educational and career opportunities available in the military.
(b) Notice to opt out.-
(1) A public school subject to this section shall provide notice to each student and to the parent or guardian of each student enrolled at the school that, in accordance with federal law, the student or the parent or guardian of the student may request that the student's name, address, and telephone number not be released to military recruiters.
(2) The notice described under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall:
(i) Be included in a clear and conspicuous manner and in the same size type as the other statements on the card requesting emergency contact information that is distributed by the public school to each student or parent or guardian of the student; and
(ii) Request that the student or the parent or guardian of the student indicate if the student's name, address, and telephone number is not to be released to military recruiters by checking the box "Do not release contact information".
(3) On or before October 1 and March 1 of each school year, the principal of each public school in a county shall submit a list to the county board that includes the name, address, and telephone number of each student whose contact information is not released to military recruiters as directed under paragraph (2)(ii) of this subsection.
(c) Release of student information.-
(1) In this subsection, "ASVAB" means the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.
(2) Each public school in the State that administers the ASVAB shall choose "Option 8" as the score reporting option for military recruiter contact to prohibit the general release of any student information to military recruiters.
(3) Each public school that administers the ASVAB shall:
(i) Send a written notice to the ASVAB representative coordinating the school's administration of the ASVAB of the requirement set forth in paragraph (2) of this subsection; and
(ii) Notify students taking the ASVAB and the parent or guardian of students taking the ASVAB of the release of student information requirements set forth in paragraphs (2) and (4) of this subsection.
(4) A student or a student's parent or guardian may choose to release the student's personal information and ASVAB scores to recruiting representatives of the military services by individually submitting the required forms to the military services authorizing the release of the information.
[1982, ch. 245; 2008, ch. 175; 2010, chs. 104, 105.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.