2010 Maryland Code
COURTS AND JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS
TITLE 11 - JUDGMENTS
Subtitle 1 - Judgments - Miscellaneous
Section 11-109 - Personal injury action - Award for damages.
§ 11-109. Personal injury action - Award for damages.
(a) "Economic damages" defined.-
(1) In this section, "economic damages" means loss of earnings and medical expenses.
(2) "Economic damages" does not include punitive damages.
(b) Itemized award.- As part of the verdict in any action for damages for personal injury in which the cause of action arises on or after July 1, 1986 or for wrongful death in which the cause of action arises on or after October 1, 1994, the trier of fact shall itemize the award to reflect the monetary amount intended for:
(1) Past medical expenses;
(2) Future medical expenses;
(3) Past loss of earnings;
(4) Future loss of earnings;
(5) Noneconomic damages; and
(6) Other damages.
(c) Form of award for future economic damages; appointment of conservator.-
(1) The court or the health claims arbitration panel may order that all or part of the future economic damages portion of the award be paid in the form of annuities or other appropriate financial instruments, or that it be paid in periodic or other payments consistent with the needs of the plaintiff, funded in full by the defendant or the defendant's insurer and equal when paid to the amount of the future economic damages award.
(2) In the event that the court or panel shall order that the award for future economic damages be paid in a form other than a lump sum, the court or panel shall order that the defendant or the defendant's insurer provide adequate security for the payment of all future economic damages.
(3) The court or panel may appoint a conservator under this subsection for the plaintiff, upon such terms as the court or panel may impose, who shall have the full and final authority to resolve any dispute between the plaintiff and the defendant or the defendant's insurer regarding the need or cost of expenses for the plaintiff's medical, surgical, custodial, or other care or treatment.
(d) Death of plaintiff before final payment of award.- If the plaintiff under this section dies before the final periodic payment of an award is made, the unpaid balance of the award for future loss of earnings shall revert to the estate of the plaintiff and the unpaid balance of the award for future medical expenses shall revert to the defendant or to the defendant's insurer if the insurer provided the funds for the future damages award.
[1986, ch. 639; 1994, ch. 477; 2002, ch. 19, § 10.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.