2010 Maryland Code
TITLE 8 - HOME IMPROVEMENT
Subtitle 3 - Licensing
Section 8-303 - Applications for licenses.
§ 8-303. Applications for licenses.
(a) In general.-
(1) An applicant for a license shall:
(i) submit to the Commission an application on the form that the Commission provides;
(ii) submit to the Commission with the license application proof of compliance with the insurance requirement of § 8-302.1 of this subtitle, if the applicant is applying for a contractor license;
(iii) pay into the Fund the fee required under § 8-404(a) of this title, if the applicant is applying for a contractor license; and
(iv) pay to the Commission an application fee.
(2) The application fee:
(i) for a contractor license is $225 for each place of business of the contractor;
(ii) for a subcontractor license is $125; or
(iii) for a salesperson license is $75.
(3) To cover the cost of processing an application, $15 of the application fee is nonrefundable.
(b) Contents of applications.- In addition to any other information required on an application form, the form shall require:
(1) for an individual applicant, the name and address of the applicant;
(2) for a corporate applicant, the name and address of each officer;
(3) for a partnership applicant, the name and address of each partner;
(4) for a joint venture applicant, the name and address of each party to the joint venture;
(5) if the applicant acts as a contractor or subcontractor through a corporation or limited partnership, the name and address of the resident agent of the corporation or limited partnership in the State;
(6) if the applicant is applying for a contractor license or subcontractor license, a complete description of the nature of the contracting business of the applicant;
(7) if the applicant is applying for a salesperson license, a complete description of the duties of the applicant;
(8) a record of the applicant's experience in the field of home improvement or other construction work, including dates when and addresses where the applicant has resided and done business;
(9) if the applicant provides lead paint abatement services, the Department of the Environment lead paint abatement accreditation number and accreditation expiration date;
(10) whether the applicant has ever held a professional or vocational license in this or any other state; and
(11) whether the applicant has had a professional or vocational license denied, suspended, or revoked.
(c) Other information.- To evaluate the qualifications of an applicant for a license, the Commission may ask the applicant for:
(1) information about the applicant's character, experience, and financial stability; and
(2) any other information that the Commission needs.
(d) Credit reports.- If the applicant is applying for a contractor license, the applicant shall:
(1) have submitted to the Commission, by a credit reporting agency approved by the Commission, a credit report that contains the information required by the Commission; or
(2) have paid to the Commission or the Commission's designee a credit report fee in an amount not to exceed the cost charged by a credit reporting agency approved by the Commission to obtain a credit report that contains the information required by the Commission.
(e) Confidentiality of submitted financial information.- Financial information that an applicant submits to the Commission:
(1) is confidential and is not a public record; but
(2) if relevant, is admissible as evidence in an administrative or judicial proceeding.
(f) Fee.- Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, an applicant that is incorporated or has its principal office in another state shall pay to the Commission the fee imposed in that state on a similar nonresident business if that fee is higher than the application fee under subsection (a) of this section.
[An. Code 1957, art. 56, §§ 254, 257, 258; 1992, ch. 4, § 2; ch. 623; 1998, ch. 49; 1999, ch. 34, § 1; 2002, ch. 176; 2008, chs. 420, 421.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maryland may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.