2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:1199.5 - Administration of program; purposes
§1199.5. Administration of program; purposes
A. The secretary shall administer the provisions of this Part.
B. The department shall operate the inmate rehabilitation and workforce development program for the following purposes:
(1) To provide inmates with employment skills, job training, and employment once they have completed the program.
(2) To develop a workforce of skilled craftsmen.
(3) To provide inmates with the necessary substance abuse counseling, mentoring, and other programs to assist them in returning to their communities with a focus on breaking the cycle of substance abuse, criminal behavior, and violence that prevents them from moving forward with their lives.
(4) To reduce the rate of recidivism by providing inmates with the necessary occupational training, educational opportunities, and substance abuse counseling to allow them to have meaningful alternatives to criminal behavior and substance abuse.
C.(1) The department may enter into cooperative endeavors or contracts with and request studies or reports from private citizens, the Louisiana Workforce Commission, the Louisiana Department of Education, and the Louisiana community and technical colleges in this state for the purpose of encouraging the development of training facilities to produce skilled craftsmen for employment in Louisiana industries.
(2) Should the department enter into cooperative endeavors or contracts or receive studies or reports as provided in Paragraph (1) of this Subsection, it shall transmit the summary and the reports to the House Committee on the Administration of Criminal Justice and the Senate Committee on Judiciary B on or before March first of each year.
D. The department may enter into cooperative endeavors or contracts with the Louisiana Workforce Commission, the Louisiana Department of Education, and the Louisiana community and technical colleges, educational institutions, training facilities, and employers to provide the intensive training programs necessary for proper certification or licensing of skilled craftsmen as authorized by the provisions of this Part.
E. The department may enter into cooperative endeavors or contracts with service providers to provide substance abuse treatment and counseling or halfway housing to inmates who participate in the program.
F. In the administration of this program, the secretary, with the assistance of the council shall:
(1) Make an annual report on or before March first each year to the House Committee on the Administration of Criminal Justice and the Senate Committee on Judiciary B regarding the program. The report shall include at a minimum:
(a) Recommendations for all needed changes in the law regarding the operation and administration of the program.
(b) A complete report on the receipt and expenditure of all funds received by the department for operation of the program.
(c) Comprehensive data regarding the number of inmates who are enrolled in the program, have graduated from the program, and who have been assigned to workforce development work release.
(d) A copy of any regulation adopted to implement the provisions of the program including any subsequent changes to the regulation.
(2)(a) Establish, and modify as necessary, a plan of organization to administer the program efficiently and thoroughly.
(b) The plan of organization shall provide for the capacity to:
(i) Administer the granting of cooperative endeavors or contracts.
(ii) Analyze and review investigative and audit reports and findings.
(iii) Provide for enforcement of department rules or regulations as is necessary to provide for the efficient and thorough operation of the program.
(3) Approve, prior to its presentation to the legislature and after appropriation but prior to allocation, the budget for the administration and operation of the program.
(4) Issue a written response to any formal request from the governor and the legislature or any committee thereof.
(5) Appear before any committee of the legislature upon request of the president of the Senate, the speaker of the House, or the chairman of any legislative committee.
(6) Prepare and submit for review to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget on or before March first of each year an annual financial report which outlines the expenditures of all funds for the previous calendar year.
(7) Repealed by Acts 2009, No. 266, §2.
G. The secretary shall coordinate with the secretary of the Louisiana Workforce Commission to ensure that the administration of the program as provided by this Part and the programs administered by the Louisiana Workforce Commission do not provide duplicative or conflicting services to the same individuals. All efforts shall be coordinated and consistent with R.S. 23:1 et seq.
Acts 2008, No. 106, §1, eff. June 6, 2008; Acts 2008, No. 743, §7, eff. July 1, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 266, §§1, 2.