2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:1199.12 - Program duration; development; selection of craft
§1199.12. Program duration; development; selection of craft
A. The department shall assist each inmate in selecting a craft as provided for in this Part.
B. The pairing of the inmate with a particular craft shall be determined by all of the following:
(1) The skills, interests, and abilities of the inmate. This shall include actual demonstration and simulation of the respective crafts.
(2) Likelihood of successful job placement and opportunity upon graduation from the program, including the need for particular craftsmen at the time the inmate enters the program.
(3) The availability of training facilities, instructors, and the number of inmates enrolled for particular crafts.
C.(1) Eligible inmates who have been admitted to the program shall participate in a selected craft training program.
(2) Upon completion of the selected craft training program, the inmate shall qualify for continuing training, if available, including workforce development, work release apprenticeship, or similar on-the-job training that leads to the fulfillment of the requirements for licensing or certification in the selected craft, to the extent and in the manner permitted by regulations adopted by the department.
(3) The inmate shall take any necessary examination required for certification or licensing in the selected craft if the inmate fulfills all requirements for taking the examination.
(4) Upon successful completion of any certification or licensing as a skilled craftsman, the inmate shall begin participation in the workforce development work release program. The department may by rule provide for the crediting of work release pursuant to the provisions of this Subsection toward this requirement.
D. Upon completion of the workforce development work release program, the inmate shall be released on his diminution of sentence release date and placed under good time parole supervision for the remainder of his sentence. It shall be an additional condition of the inmate's supervised parole that he maintain employment as a skilled craftsman at a location approved by the department, unless extenuating circumstances prevent such employment.
E. The provisions of this Part shall not be construed to relieve an inmate from meeting any certification or licensing requirements for a selected craft established by a professional licensing board or association or which are otherwise provided for by law.
Acts 2008, No. 106, §1, eff. June 6, 2008; Acts 2008, No. 743, §1, eff. July 1, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 266, §1; Acts 2010, No. 836, §1.