2017 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:5303 - Definitions
For the purposes of this Chapter:
(1) "Alcohol and drug abuse program" means a program licensed by the state of Louisiana to provide education, prevention, and treatment directed toward achieving the mental and physical restoration of alcohol and drug abusers or addicts.
(2) "Alcohol and drug abuser" means a person whose consumption of alcohol or other drugs, or any combination thereof, interferes with or adversely affects his ability to function socially or economically and endangers the health, safety, and welfare of the abuser and others.
(3) "Alcohol- or drug-related offense" means an alcohol or drug-related offense and also an offense in which alcohol or drug abuse or addiction is determined from the evidence to have been a factor in the commission of the offense.
(4) "Alcoholic or drug addict" means any person who habitually uses alcohol or other drugs to the extent that the person endangers the health, safety, or welfare of that person or any other person or group of persons.
(5) "Conditions of probation" means the specification of formal terms and conditions which a defendant must fulfill in order to have the charges against that person dismissed in accordance with the provisions of Code of Criminal Procedure Articles 893 and 894.
(6) "Drug division" means the division or divisions of the court to which alcohol- or drug-related offenses are assigned or the employee of the court designated to administer the probation program, as provided by R.S. 13:5304(A).
(7) "Probation" means referral of a defendant who has entered a plea of guilty in a criminal case charging an alcohol or controlled dangerous substance related offense to a supervised probation program as provided in Code of Criminal Procedure Articles 893 and 894.
(8) "Probationer" means a person who has been accepted into a drug division probation program.
(9) "Treatment program" means any governmental agency or other entity which is licensed by the state of Louisiana to provide substance abuse or addiction treatment on a residential or outpatient basis.
Acts 1997, No. 1376, §1.