2018 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 59 PROBATE CODE
Article 29c THE CRISIS INTERVENTION ACT
59-29c06 Emergency observation and treatment; application by law enforcement officer.
59-29c06. Emergency observation and treatment; application by law enforcement officer. (a) A crisis intervention center may admit and detain any person 18 years of age or older who is presented for emergency observation and treatment upon the written application of a law enforcement officer.
(b) An emergency observation and treatment application shall be made on a form set forth by the secretary for aging and disability services or a locally developed form approved by the secretary. The original application shall be kept in the regular course of business with the law enforcement agency, and a copy shall be provided to the crisis intervention center and to the patient. The application shall state:
(1) The name and address of the person sought to be admitted, if known;
(2) the name and address of the person's spouse, domestic partner or nearest relative, if known;
(3) the applicant's belief that the person may be a mentally ill person subject to involuntary commitment as defined in K.S.A. 59-2946, and amendments thereto, a person with an alcohol or substance abuse problem subject to involuntary commitment as defined in K.S.A. 59-29b46, and amendments thereto, or a person with co-occurring conditions, and because of such mental illness, alcohol or substance abuse problem or co-occurring conditions, is likely to cause harm to self or others if not immediately detained;
(4) the factual circumstances in support of that belief and the factual circumstances under which the person was taken into custody, including any known pending criminal charges; and
(5) whether the person has a wellness recovery action plan or psychiatric advance directive, if known.
History: L. 2017, ch. 77, § 6; July 1.