2017 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 76 STATE INSTITUTIONS AND AGENCIES; HISTORICAL PROPERTY
Article 8 UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL EDUCATION AND CLINICAL FACILITIES AND PERSONNEL
76-835 Midwest stem cell therapy center; powers, duties and functions.
76-835. Midwest stem cell therapy center; powers, duties and functions. (a) The university of Kansas medical center shall establish the midwest stem cell therapy center. The center shall:
(1) Focus on activities that advance adult, cord blood and related stem cell and non-embryonic stem cell research and therapies for patient treatment;
(2) serve as a core facility to produce clinical grade stem cells from adult tissues, cord blood and related materials for use in clinical trials and therapies;
(3) facilitate the delivery of adult, cord blood and related stem cell therapies to Kansas City and midwest region hospitals where appropriate;
(4) partner and collaborate with the blood and marrow transplant center of Kansas to foster a regional network of physicians trained in adult, cord blood and related stem cell therapy applications;
(5) create and maintain a database resource for physicians and patients that provides a comprehensive global list of available stem cell clinical trials and therapies;
(6) initiate clinical trials with adult, cord blood and related stem cells;
(7) create education modules to train and educate physicians and research scientists about peer-reviewed adult, cord blood and related stem cell therapy applications for patients;
(8) distribute information to Kansas physicians about methods for successful treatments with adult, cord blood and related stem cells through basic and clinical research; and
(9) inform the public on available adult, cord blood and related stem cell therapeutic options.
History: L. 2013, ch. 114, § 1; July 1.