2014 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 21 CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
Article 58 CRIMES INVOLVING PROPERTY
21-5801. Theft. (a) Theft is any of the following acts done with intent to permanently deprive the owner of the possession, use or benefit of the owner's property or services:
(1) Obtaining or exerting unauthorized control over property or services;
(2) obtaining control over property or services, by deception;
(3) obtaining control over property or services, by threat;
(4) obtaining control over stolen property or services knowing the property or services to have been stolen by another; or
(5) knowingly dispensing motor fuel into a storage container or the fuel tank of a motor vehicle at an establishment in which motor fuel is offered for retail sale and leaving the premises of the establishment without making payment for the motor fuel.
(b) Theft of:
(1) Property or services of the value of $100,000 or more is a severity level 5, nonperson felony;
(2) property or services of the value of at least $25,000 but less than $100,000 is a severity level 7, nonperson felony;
(3) property or services of the value of at least $1,000 but less than $25,000 is a severity level 9, nonperson felony, except as provided in subsection (b)(7);
(4) property or services of the value of less than $1,000 is a class A nonperson misdemeanor, except as provided in subsection (b)(5), (b)(6) or (b)(7);
(5) property of the value of less than $1,000 from three separate mercantile establishments within a period of 72 hours as part of the same act or transaction or in two or more acts or transactions connected together or constituting parts of a common scheme or course of conduct is a severity level 9, nonperson felony;
(6) property of the value of less than $1,000 is a severity level 9, nonperson felony if committed by a person who has been convicted of theft two or more times; and
(7) property which is a firearm of the value of less than $25,000 is a severity level 9, nonperson felony.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) "Conviction" or "convicted" includes being convicted of a violation of K.S.A. 21-3701, prior to its repeal, this section or a municipal ordinance which prohibits the acts that this section prohibits;
(2) "regulated scrap metal" means the same as in K.S.A. 2014 Supp. 50-6,109, and amendments thereto; and
(3) "value" means the value of the property or, if the property is regulated scrap metal, the cost to restore the site of the theft of such regulated scrap metal to its condition at the time immediately prior to the theft of such regulated scrap metal, whichever is greater.
History: L. 2010, ch. 136, § 87; L. 2011, ch. 86, § 4; L. 2013, ch. 64, § 1; July 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.