2015 Iowa Code
TITLE XV - JUDICIAL BRANCH AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURES
SUBTITLE 5 - SPECIAL ACTIONS
CHAPTER 648 - FORCIBLE ENTRY AND DETAINER
Section 648.22A - Executions involving mobile homes and manufactured homes.
1. In cases covered by chapter 562B, prior to the expiration of three days from the date the judgment is entered pursuant to section 648.22, the plaintiff or defendant may elect to leave a mobile home or manufactured home and its contents in the manufactured home community or mobile home park for up to sixty days after the date of the judgment provided all of the following occur:
a. The plaintiff consents and the plaintiff has complied with the provisions of section 648.6.
b. The party making the election files a written notice of such election with the court and sends a copy of the notice of election with a copy of the judgment to the sheriff, the other party at the other party’s last known address, each record lienholder, and the county treasurer in the same manner as in section 648.6.
c. All utilities to the mobile home or manufactured home are disconnected prior to expiration of three days from the filing of the election. Payment of any reasonable costs incurred in disconnecting utilities and protecting the home from damage is the responsibility of the defendant.
2. During the sixty-day period the defendant may have reasonable access to the home site to show the home to prospective purchasers, prepare the home for removal, remove any personal property, or remove the home, provided that the defendant gives the plaintiff at least twenty-four hours’ notice prior to each exercise of the defendant’s right of access. The plaintiff may also have reasonable access to the home site to disconnect utilities and to show the home to prospective purchasers sent by the defendant. The plaintiff shall not have the right to sell the home during the sixty-day period unless the defendant enters into a written agreement for the plaintiff to sell the home.
3. During the sixty-day period the defendant shall not occupy the home or be present on the premises between the hours of seven p.m. and seven a.m. A violation of this subsection shall be punishable as contempt.
4. If the plaintiff or defendant finds a purchaser of the home, who is a prospective tenant of the manufactured home community or mobile home park, the provisions of section 562B.19, subsection 3, paragraph “c”, shall apply.
5. If, within the sixty-day period, the home is not sold to an approved purchaser or removed from the manufactured home community or mobile home park, the plaintiff may sell or dispose of the home in accordance with the provisions of section 555B.9 without an order for disposal, or chapter 555C, and may do so free and clear of all liens, claims, or encumbrances of third parties except any tax lien, at which time all of the following shall occur:
a. The proceeds from the sale shall first be applied to any judgments against the defendant obtained by the plaintiff, any unpaid rent or additional costs incurred by plaintiff, and reasonable attorney fees. Any remaining proceeds shall next be applied to any tax lien with the remainder to be held in accordance with section 555B.9, subsection 3, paragraph “c”.
b. Any money judgment against the defendant and in favor of the plaintiff relating to the previous tenancy shall be deemed satisfied, except those arising from independent torts.
c. If plaintiff elects to retain the home pursuant to section 555B.9, the county treasurer, upon receipt of a fee equal to the fee specified in section 321.42 for replacement of certificates of title for motor vehicles, and upon receipt of an affidavit submitted by the plaintiff verifying that the home was not sold to an approved purchaser or removed within the time specified in this subsection, shall issue to the plaintiff a new title for the home.
6. A purchaser of the home shall be liable for any unpaid sums due the plaintiff, sheriff, or county treasurer. For the purposes of this section, “purchaser” includes a lienholder or other claimant acquiring title to the home in whole or in part by reason of a lien or other claim.
7. Nothing in this section shall prevent the defendant from removing the mobile home or manufactured home prior to the expiration of three days after entry of judgment, after which time a mobile home or manufactured home shall not be removed without the prior payment to the plaintiff of all sums owing at the time of entry of judgment, interest accrued on such sums as provided by law, and per diem rent for that portion of the sixty-day period which has expired prior to removal, and payment of any taxes due on the home which are not abated pursuant to subsection 5.
8. In any case where this section has become operative, section 648.18 does not apply.
9. This section does not preclude the exercise of a lienholder’s rights under section 648.22B.
1998 Acts, ch 1107, §32; 2001 Acts, ch 153, §16; 2003 Acts, ch 154, §5
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Iowa may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.