2018 Indiana Code
TITLE 6. Taxation
ARTICLE 1.1. PROPERTY TAXES
CHAPTER 12. Assessed Value Deductions and Deduction Procedures
6-1.1-12-26.1. Solar power devices
Sec. 26.1. (a) This section applies only to a solar power device that is installed after December 31, 2011.
(b) This section does not apply to a solar power device that is owned or operated by a person that provides electricity at wholesale or retail for consideration other than a person that:
(1) participates in a net metering or feed-in-tariff program offered by an electric utility with respect to the solar power device; or
(2) is the owner or host of the solar power device site and a person consumes on the site the equivalent amount of electricity that is generated by the solar power device on an annual basis even if the electricity is sold to a public utility, including a solar power device directly serving a public utility's business operations site.
(c) For purposes of this section, "solar power device" means a device, such as a solar thermal, a photovoltaic, or other solar energy system, that is designed to use the radiant light or heat from the sun to produce electricity.
(d) The owner of real property equipped with a solar power device that is assessed as a real property improvement may have deducted annually from the assessed value of the real property an amount equal to:
(1) the assessed value of the real property with the solar power device included; minus
(2) the assessed value of the real property without the solar power device.
(e) The owner of a solar power device that is assessed as:
(1) distributable property under IC 6-1.1-8; or
(2) personal property;
may have deducted annually the assessed value of the solar power device.
As added by P.L.137-2012, SEC.15.