2016 Hawaii Revised Statutes
587A. Child Protective Act
587A-9 Temporary foster custody without court order.

HI Rev Stat § 587A-9 (2016) What's This?

§587A-9 Temporary foster custody without court order. (a) When the department receives protective custody of a child from the police, the department shall:

(1) Assume temporary foster custody of the child if, in the discretion of the department, the department determines that the child is subject to imminent harm while in the custody of the child's family;

(2) Make every reasonable effort to inform the child's parents of the actions taken, unless doing so would put another person at risk of harm;

(3) Unless the child is admitted to a hospital or similar institution, place the child in emergency foster care while the department conducts an appropriate investigation, with placement preference being given to an approved relative;

(4) With authorized agencies, make reasonable efforts to identify and notify all relatives within thirty days of assuming temporary foster custody of the child; and

(5) Within three days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays:

(A) Relinquish temporary foster custody, return the child to the child's parents, and proceed pursuant to section 587A-11(4), (5), or (6);

(B) Secure a voluntary placement agreement from the child's parents to place the child in foster care, and proceed pursuant to section 587A-11(6) or (8); or

(C) File a petition with the court.

(b) Upon the request of the department and without regard to parental consent, any physician licensed or authorized to practice medicine in the State shall perform an examination to determine the nature and extent of harm or threatened harm to the child under the department's temporary foster custody. [L 2010, c 135, pt of §1; am L 2016, c 96, §3]

Law Journals and Reviews

Prior law.

Consent for Testing and Treatment of Minors in Hawaii. 13 HBJ, no. 13, at 165 (2009).

Case Notes

Cited: 132 H. 368, 322 P.3d 263 (2014).

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Hawaii may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.