2020 Georgia Code
Title 45 - Public Officers and Employees
Chapter 16 - Coroners
Article 3 - Georgia Coroner's Training Council
§ 45-16-65. Powers and Duties of Council Generally
The council is vested with the following functions, powers, and responsibilities:
- To make all the necessary rules and regulations to carry out this article;
- To cooperate with and secure the cooperation of every department, agency, or instrumentality of the state government or its political subdivisions in furtherance of the purposes of this article;
- To approve schools and to prescribe minimum qualifications for instructors at approved schools;
- To issue a certificate of certification to any coroner satisfactorily complying with an approved training program;
- To withdraw or suspend the certification of any coroner who has performed or is performing the duties of a coroner in violation of this chapter;
- To do any and all things necessary or convenient to enable it wholly and adequately to perform its duties and to exercise the power granted to it;
- To review complaints from outside parties and make recommendations concerning the retention, suspension, or removal of a coroner from his or her position; and
- To prescribe, by rules and regulations, the minimum requirements for curricula and standards composing the initial in-service, advanced, specialized, and continuing training courses for certification.
(Code 1981, §45-16-65, enacted by Ga. L. 1985, p. 797, § 1; Ga. L. 1986, p. 10, § 45; Ga. L. 1990, p. 333, § 3; Ga. L. 2019, p. 803, § 1/SB 154.)
The 2019 amendment, effective July 1, 2019, deleted "and" at the end of paragraph (6), added paragraph (7), and redesignated former paragraph (7) as present paragraph (8).