2020 Georgia Code
Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic
Chapter 6 - Uniform Rules of the Road
Article 6 - Turning, Starting, Signaling
§ 40-6-123. Turning Movements; Signals Required on Turning, Changing Lanes, Slowing, or Stopping
- No person shall turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in proper position upon the roadway as required in Code Section 40-6-120 or turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or change lanes or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety. No person shall so turn any vehicle without giving an appropriate and timely signal in the manner provided in this Code section.
- A signal of intention to turn right or left or change lanes when required shall be given continuously for a time sufficient to alert the driver of a vehicle proceeding from the rear in the same direction or a driver of a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
- No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this Code section to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is an opportunity to give such signal.
- The signals provided for in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-6-124 shall be used to indicate an intention to turn, change lanes, or start from a parked position and shall not be flashed on one side only on a parked or disabled vehicle or flashed as a courtesy or "do pass" signal to operators of other vehicles approaching from the rear.
(Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 69; Code 1933, § 68A-604, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1985, p. 149, § 40; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5.)
Am. Jur. 2d.
- 7A Am. Jur. 2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, §§ 244, 281.C.J.S.
- 60A C.J.S., Motor Vehicles, § 699 et seq.ALR.
- Reciprocal duties of drivers of automobiles or other vehicles proceeding in the same direction, 24 A.L.R. 507; 47 A.L.R. 703; 62 A.L.R. 970; 104 A.L.R. 485.
Liability for accident arising from motorist's failure to give signal for right turn, 38 A.L.R.2d 143.
Liability for accident arising from failure of motorist to give signal for left turn at intersection as against motor vehicle proceeding in same direction, 39 A.L.R.2d 15.
Liability for accident arising from failure of motorist to give signal for left turn at intersection, as against oncoming or intersecting motor vehicle, 39 A.L.R.2d 65.
Liability for accident arising from failure of motorist to give signal for left turn between intersections, 39 A.L.R.2d 103.
Motor vehicle accidents involving right turns from lane other than right-hand lane, 7 A.L.R.3d 282.
Negligence or contributory negligence of motorist in failing to proceed in accordance with turn signal given, 84 A.L.R.4th 124.