There is a newer version of the Arkansas Code
2010 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 4 - Motor Vehicular Traffic
Chapter 51 - Operation Of Vehicles -- Rules Of The Road
Subchapter 16 - Fewer Distractions Mean Safer Driving Act
§ 27-51-1602 - Definitions.
As used in this subchapter:
(1) "Emergency purpose" means the reason for contacting any of the following to report an emergency:
(A) Law enforcement personnel;
(B) Fire department personnel;
(C) Public safety personnel;
(D) Emergency medical personnel; or
(E) A 911 public safety communications center;
(2) (A) "Handheld wireless telephone" means a wireless interactive communication device with which a user engages in a call or text-based communication using at least one (1) hand.
(B) "Handheld wireless telephone" does not include:
(i) A hands-free wireless telephone or device;
(ii) Citizens band radio; or
(iii) Citizens band radio hybrid;
(3) (A) "Hands-free wireless telephone or device" means a wireless telephone or other wireless communication device that allows a user to engage in text-based communication without the use of either hand with:
(i) An internal feature or function; or
(ii) An attachment or additional device.
(B) A hands-free wireless telephone or device may be a permanent or temporary part of the wireless telephone or other wireless communication device.
(C) A hands-free wireless telephone or device may require the use of either hand to activate, deactivate, or initiate a function of the wireless telephone or other communication device;
(4) "Wireless interactive communication" means talking, typing, text messaging, emailing, or accessing information on the Internet with a wireless telephone; and
(5) (A) "Wireless telephone" means a wireless interactive communication device.
(B) "Wireless telephone" includes a handheld wireless telephone and a hands-free wireless telephone or device.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Arkansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.