2019 Alaska Statutes
Title 45. Trade and Commerce
Chapter 29. Secured Transactions
Article 1. General Provisions.
Sec. 45.29.109. Scope.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in (c) and (d) of this section, this chapter applies to
(1) a transaction, regardless of its form, that creates a security interest in personal property or fixtures by contract;
(2) an agricultural lien;
(3) a sale of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes;
(4) a consignment;
(5) a security interest arising under AS 45.02.401, 45.02.505, 45.02.711(c), or AS 45.12.508(e), as provided in AS 45.29.110; and
(6) a security interest arising under AS 45.04.210 or AS 45.05.118.
(b) The application of this chapter to a security interest in a secured obligation is not affected by the fact that the obligation is itself secured by a transaction or interest to which this chapter does not apply.
(c) This chapter does not apply to the extent that
(1) a statute, regulation, or treaty of the United States preempts this chapter;
(2) another statute of this state expressly governs the creation, perfection, priority, or enforcement of a security interest created by this state or a governmental unit of this state;
(3) a statute of another state, a foreign country, or a governmental unit of another state or a foreign country, other than a statute generally applicable to security interests, expressly governs creation, perfection, priority, or enforcement of a security interest created by the state, country, or governmental unit; or
(4) the rights of a transferee beneficiary or nominated person under a letter of credit are independent and superior under AS 45.05.114.
(d) This chapter does not apply to
(1) a landlord's lien, other than an agricultural lien;
(2) a lien, other than an agricultural lien, given by statute or other rule of law for services or materials, but AS 45.29.333 applies with respect to priority of the lien;
(3) an assignment of a claim for wages, salary, or other compensation of an employee;
(4) a sale of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes as part of a sale of the business out of which they arose;
(5) an assignment of accounts, chattel paper, payment intangibles, or promissory notes that is for the purpose of collection only;
(6) an assignment of a right to payment under a contract to an assignee that is also obligated to perform under the contract;
(7) an assignment of a single account, payment intangible, or promissory note to an assignee in full or partial satisfaction of a preexisting indebtedness;
(8) a transfer of an interest in or an assignment of a claim under a policy of insurance, other than an assignment by or to a health care provider of a health care insurance receivable and any subsequent assignment of the right to payment, but AS 45.29.315 and 45.29.322 apply with respect to proceeds and priorities in proceeds;
(9) an assignment of a right represented by a judgment, other than a judgment taken on a right to payment that was collateral;
(10) a right of recoupment or setoff, but
(A) AS 45.29.340 applies with respect to the effectiveness of rights of recoupment or setoff against deposit accounts; and
(B) AS 45.29.404 applies with respect to defenses or claims of an account debtor;
(11) the creation or transfer of an interest in or lien on real property, including a lease or rents thereunder, except to the extent that provision is made for
(A) liens on real property in AS 45.29.203 and 45.29.308;
(B) fixtures in AS 45.29.334;
(C) fixture filings in AS 45.29.501, 45.29.502, 45.29.512, 45.29.516, and 45.29.519; and
(D) security agreements covering personal and real property in AS 45.29.604;
(12) an assignment of a claim arising in tort, other than a commercial tort claim, but AS 45.29.315 and 45.29.322 apply with respect to proceeds and priorities in proceeds;
(13) an assignment of a deposit account in a consumer transaction, but AS 45.29.315 and 45.29.322 apply with respect to proceeds and priorities in proceeds; or
(14) notwithstanding (c)(2) of this section, a transfer by a government or governmental subdivision or agency.