2020 Code of Alabama
Title 11 - Counties and Municipal Corporations.
Title 3 - Provisions Applicable to Counties and Municipal Corporations.
Chapter 90 - Free Public Libraries.
Section 11-90-3 - Library Boards - Powers and Duties.
Library boards - Powers and duties.
(a) The library board shall have full power and authority to:
(1) Control the expenditure of all funds received or appropriated for such libraries;
(2) Erect or rent buildings to cost not in excess of the funds available to it;
(3) Purchase books and equipment;
(4) Provide a system of library service to be made easily available to all citizens of the county or municipality through central library, branches, stations, book truck service, or other appropriate means;
(5) Elect a librarian and other employees; and
(6) Manage and control the said library in order to carry out the full intent and purpose of this chapter.
(b) A careful and complete record and set of books shall be kept by the library board, showing the proceedings of their several meetings and the receipts and disbursements in detail of all funds.
(c) In counties where a city having a population of not less than 65,000 already maintains a free public library, a separate county library board need not be appointed, and the county libraries and the appropriations authorized shall be administered by the governing board of such free public library on such terms as may be agreed upon between the county commission and the said governing board.
(Acts 1919, No. 763, p. 1124; Code 1923, §1547; Acts 1939, No. 200, p. 351; Code 1940, T. 55, §287.)