2020 Code of Alabama
Title 11 - Counties and Municipal Corporations.
Title 3 - Provisions Applicable to Counties and Municipal Corporations.
Chapter 104 - Post-Employment Benefits Act of 2008.
Section 11-104-2 - Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) DEPENDENTS. The spouse, children, or other dependents of the retired employee, as defined by and covered under the documents governing the governmental entities' benefit plans that provide post-employment benefits.
(2) EMPLOYEE. Any person who is an employee of any governmental entity located in the state who may become eligible for post-employment benefits from the governmental entity.
(3) EMPLOYER. Any governmental entity that sponsors, in whole or in part, post-employment benefits.
(4) FISCAL YEAR. The annual period at the end of which a governmental entity determines its financial condition.
(5) GASB. The Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
(6) GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY. Any political subdivision of the state, any department, agency, board, commission, or authority of any such political subdivision, or any public corporation, authority, agency, instrumentality, board, commission, state college, university, or other governmental entity controlled by or otherwise associated with any political subdivision.
(7) POST-EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. Non-pension benefits sponsored in whole or in part by a governmental entity and paid in whole or in part by a governmental entity on behalf of retired employees or their dependents after separation from service in accordance with the terms of the relevant plan providing such benefits. Such benefits include, but are not limited to, medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug benefits; life insurance; long-term health care benefits; disability benefits and any other benefits as may now or hereafter be defined by GASB as subject to Statements 43 and 45, or similar statements, as may be amended from time to time.
(8) RETIRED EMPLOYEE. A former employee of a governmental entity who is eligible for post-employment benefits from the governmental entity.
(9) STATE. The State of Alabama.
(10) TRUSTEE. The trustee of a trust.
(11) TRUST. Any single-employer or multiple-employer trust or fund established for the purpose of funding post-employment benefits and includes, but is not limited to, an Internal Revenue Code Section 115 trust, 26 U.S.C. §501(c)(9) trust, also known as a Voluntary Employee Benefits Association trust, or 26 U.S.C. §401(h) fund.
(Act 2008-503, p. 1109, §2.)