2019 Code of Alabama
Title 17 - Elections.
Chapter 2 - Help America Vote Act (Hava).
Section 17-2-3 - Establishment of complaint review procedures.
The Secretary of State, by administrative rule, shall establish procedures for the review of complaints regarding the administration of Title III of the Help America Vote Act of 2002. These procedures shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Any person who believes there has been a violation of Title III may file a complaint.
(2) Any complaint filed shall be in writing and notarized, and signed and sworn by the complaining person.
(3) The Secretary of State may consolidate complaints.
(4) At the request of the complainant, there shall be a hearing on the record.
(5) If it is determined that there has been a violation of Title III, the appropriate remedy shall be provided.
(6) If it is determined that there has not been a violation of Title III, the complaint shall be dismissed, and the results of the procedures shall be published.
(7) After a complaint is filed, a final determination shall be made within 90 days.
(8) If the 90-day deadline is not met, the complaint shall be resolved within 60 days under alternative dispute resolution.(Act 2003-313, p. 733, §8; §17-25-3; amended and renumbered by Act 2006-570, p. 1331, §4.)