2017 Code of Alabama
Title 13A - CRIMINAL CODE.
Chapter 12 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND MORALS.
Article 1 - General Provisions.
Section 13A-12-3.1 - Definitions.
For purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) BRAND STYLE. A variety of cigarettes distinguished by the tobacco used, tar and nicotine content, flavoring used, size of cigarette, filtration on the cigarette, or packaging.
(2) CLEAR AND CONSPICUOUS STATEMENT. The statement is of sufficient type size to be clearly readable by the recipient of the communication.
(3) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Revenue.
(4) CONSUMER. An individual who acquires or seeks to acquire cigarettes, or any one or more articles taxed herein, for personal use.
(5) DELIVERY SALE. Any sale of cigarettes to a consumer within this state where either a. the purchaser submits the order for such sale by means of a telephonic or other method of voice transmission, the mails or any other delivery service, facsimile transmission, or the Internet or other online service or b. the cigarettes are delivered by use of the mails or other delivery service. A sale of cigarettes that meets the requirements of this subdivision shall constitute a delivery sale regardless of whether the seller is located within or without the state.
(6) DELIVERY SALES STATUTES. Those provisions contained within Sections 13A-12-3.2, 13A-12-3.3, 13A-12-3.4, 13A-12-3.5, 13A-12-3.6, and 13A-12-3.7.
(7) DELIVERY SERVICE. Any person, other than a person who makes a delivery sale, who delivers to the consumer the cigarettes sold in a delivery sale.
(8) DEPARTMENT. The Alabama Department of Revenue.
(9) GOVERNMENT-ISSUED IDENTIFICATION. A state driver's license, state identification card, passport, a military identification, or an official naturalization or immigration document, including an alien registration recipient card or green card, or an immigrant visa.
(10) LEGAL MINIMUM AGE. 19 years of age.
(11) MAILS or MAILING. The shipment of cigarettes through the United States Postal Service.
(12) OUT-OF-STATE SALE. A sale of cigarettes to a consumer located outside of this state where the consumer submits the order for such sale by means of a telephonic or other method of voice transmission, the mails or any other delivery service, facsimile transmission, or the Internet or other online service, and where the cigarettes are delivered by use of the mails or other delivery service.
(13) PERSON. Any individual, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, association, or other organization that engages in any for-profit or not-for-profit activities.
(14) SHIPPING DOCUMENTS. Bills of lading, air bills, or any other documents used to evidence the undertaking by a delivery service to deliver letters, packages, or other containers.
(15) SHIPPING PACKAGE. A container in which packs or cartons of cigarettes are shipped in connection with a delivery sale.
(16) STAMP or STAMPS. The stamp or stamps by the use of which the tax levied under this article is paid and shall be designated Alabama Revenue Stamps.
(17) WITHIN THIS STATE. Within the exterior limits of the State of Alabama.(Act 2006-619, p. 1694, §1.)