2006 Alabama Code - Chapter 9 — COAL MINE SAFETY.
Article 1 General Provisions.
- Section 25-9-1 — Short title; purpose of chapter.
- Section 25-9-2 — Definitions.
- Section 25-9-3 — Appointment of mine inspectors and other employees.
- Section 25-9-4 — Certain persons not to have interest in Alabama coal mines.
- Section 25-9-5 — Qualifications and residence of chief of division.
- Section 25-9-6 — Qualifications and residence of mine inspectors and head mine inspector.
- Section 25-9-7 — Duties of mine inspectors generally; accompanying of inspectors on inspections by representatives of miners; mine examination reports.
- Section 25-9-8 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Required.
- Section 25-9-9 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Board of examiners.
- Section 25-9-10 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Examinations; fees.
- Section 25-9-11 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Qualifications of applicants — Mine foreman.
- Section 25-9-12 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Qualifications of applicants — Fire boss.
- Section 25-9-13 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Replacement of lost certificates.
- Section 25-9-14 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen — Forged or counterfeit certificates; uttering false certificates; false statements or misrepresentations in applications.
- Section 25-9-15 — Certificate of competency for fire bosses and mine foremen - Suspension, cancellation, or revocation; voluntary surrender of certificate.
- Section 25-9-16 — Failure of fire boss to perform required duties.
- Section 25-9-17 — Persons authorized to act as fire boss; temporary fire boss or mine foreman.
- Section 25-9-18 — Qualifications of mine foremen in underground mines.
- Section 25-9-19 — Inspection of working places and abandoned areas of mines by foreman.
- Section 25-9-20 — Schedule of mine inspections.
- Section 25-9-21 — Instruments for measurement of air and gases in mines.
- Section 25-9-22 — Witnesses at proceedings under chapter generally.
- Section 25-9-23 — Expenses of executing subpoenas, attendance of witnesses and contempt proceedings.
- Section 25-9-24 — Reporting and correction of unsafe conditions.
- Section 25-9-26 — Persons not employees not to enter mines without consent of operator, etc.
- Section 25-9-27 — Entry into mine while intoxicated; transporting intoxicating liquor into mine.
- Section 25-9-28 — Solicitation of funds from employees for purposes of retaining or procuring employment, etc.
- Section 25-9-29 — Giving of orders requiring violation of chapter.
- Section 25-9-30 — Persons under 18 not to work in or about mines.
Article 2 Miscellaneous Safety Requirements.
- Section 25-9-40 — Use of protective clothing, etc.
- Section 25-9-41 — Checking systems.
- Section 25-9-42 — Shafts, mine openings and escapeways.
Article 3 Accidents and Disasters.
- Section 25-9-60 — Maintenance, etc., of first aid equipment; notice of and treatment of injuries.
- Section 25-9-61 — Reports and investigations of major accidents.
- Section 25-9-62 — Removal of large and dangerous accumulations of water in adjoining mines.
- Section 25-9-63 — Mine disasters.
- Section 25-9-64 — Establishment of mine rescue stations.
- Section 25-9-65 — Rescue crews — Training and employment; wages and workmen's compensation benefits.
- Section 25-9-66 — Rescue crews — Training; removal of crew members.
- Section 25-9-67 — Rescue crews — Qualifications; record of physical examination.
- Section 25-9-68 — Jurisdiction of chief in rescue and recovery work; consultation and guidance.
- Section 25-9-69 — Compensation for rescue work; workers' compensation benefits.
- Section 25-9-70 — Crews to be informed of existing conditions; applicability of federal regulations; assignments by chief.
Article 4 Mine Gases and Ventilation.
- Section 25-9-80 — Main fans.
- Section 25-9-81 — Use of methane detectors.
- Section 25-9-82 — Standards and procedures as to gases and air quality.
- Section 25-9-83 — Standards as to volume of air.
- Section 25-9-84 — Coursing of air.
- Section 25-9-85 — Sealing, testing, etc., of abandoned workings.
- Section 25-9-86 — Examinations for gases and other dangerous conditions.
- Section 25-9-87 — Use of flame safety lamps.
- Section 25-9-88 — Reports as to ventilation, gas content, reopening of mines, etc.
- Section 25-9-89 — Procedure when workings approaching inaccessible accumulations of gases or water.
- Section 25-9-90 — Duty of employees to report damage or unsafe conditions; correction of damage or unsafe conditions.
- Section 25-9-91 — Prohibited acts.
Article 5 Coal and Rock Dust.
- Section 25-9-110 — Accumulation of coal dust; methods for allaying dust at source.
- Section 25-9-111 — Rock dusting.
Article 6 Explosives and Blasting.
- Section 25-9-130 — Permissible explosives and blasting methods generally; use of black blasting powder; use of dynamite, etc.
- Section 25-9-131 — Surface storage of explosives and detonators.
- Section 25-9-132 — Underground transportation of explosives and detonators.
- Section 25-9-133 — Underground storage of explosives and detonators.
- Section 25-9-134 — Blasting practices and procedures generally.
- Section 25-9-135 — Blasting cables.
- Section 25-9-136 — Misfires.
- Section 25-9-137 — Report of premature explosions.
Article 7 Underground Fire Prevention and Control.
- Section 25-9-150 — Building of fires in mines; use of torches; welding and burning.
- Section 25-9-151 — Examinations for fire.
- Section 25-9-152 — Use, storage, etc., of oil, grease and lubricants; fire extinguishing equipment.
- Section 25-9-153 — Underground stables.
- Section 25-9-154 — Procedure upon discovery of fire.
- Section 25-9-155 — Operators to report fires; assistance, etc., of chief in extinguishing fires, etc.
Article 8 Electrical Equipment.
- Section 25-9-170 — Transformers, conversion equipment, etc.
- Section 25-9-171 — Power wires and circuits; signal and telephone wires; trolley and feeder wires.
- Section 25-9-172 — Grounding of frames, casings and other electrical equipment.
- Section 25-9-173 — Circuit breakers, etc.; insulating platforms.
- Section 25-9-174 — Telephones.
- Section 25-9-175 — Electric drills, etc.; trailing cables; cables for portable equipment.
- Section 25-9-176 — Electric lights.
Article 9 Roof Support.
- Section 25-9-190 — Testing and examination of roof, faces, ribs, etc.; correction of and precautions against unsafe conditions.
- Section 25-9-191 — Installation, etc., of timbering or other roof support systems.
- Section 25-9-192 — Maintenance of supply of timbers or other roof supports.
Article 10 Hoisting and Haulage.
- Section 25-9-210 — Hoist engineers; signal codes, etc.; safety features of cages, hoist engines, hoist ropes and hoist shafts; hoisting of tools, timber, animals, etc.
- Section 25-9-211 — Maintenance, etc., of mine locomotives and other haulage equipment.
- Section 25-9-212 — Construction, installation and maintenance of elements of track of haulage roads.
- Section 25-9-213 — Clearances, crossovers and shelter holes on haulage roads.
- Section 25-9-214 — Certain machinery prohibited underground.
- Section 25-9-215 — Safety devices and practices.
- Section 25-9-216 — Transportation of men.
Article 11 Operation and Maintenance of Machinery.
- Section 25-9-230 — Face equipment.
- Section 25-9-231 — Shop equipment, etc.
- Section 25-9-232 — Operation of machinery by repairmen.
Article 12 Surface Structures and Practices.
- Section 25-9-250 — Use of electrical equipment; maintenance, etc., in tipples and cleaning plants.
- Section 25-9-251 — Storage of flammable liquids in lamp houses.
- Section 25-9-252 — Maintenance, etc., of stairways, elevated platforms and runways.
- Section 25-9-253 — Housekeeping practices.
- Section 25-9-254 — Fire prevention in surface structures.
Article 13 Surface Mining Operations.
- Section 25-9-270 — Applicability of provisions.
- Section 25-9-271 — Maintenance, etc., of banks; overburden, etc., of open pits.
- Section 25-9-272 — Maintenance, etc., of means of access to pits.
- Section 25-9-273 — Operation, inspection and maintenance of shovels and draglines.
- Section 25-9-274 — Electrical equipment installations and inspections; grounding and insulation of electrical equipment; trailing cables.
- Section 25-9-275 — Guarding of exposed engines, wheels, etc.; safety of tools.
- Section 25-9-276 — "Blasting agent" and "explosives" defined; storage and transportation of blasting agents, explosives and detonators generally.
- Section 25-9-277 — Handling and use of explosives and detonators.
- Section 25-9-278 — Blasting practices and procedures generally.
- Section 25-9-279 — Electrical blasting practices and procedures.
- Section 25-9-280 — Handling of explosives during blasting operations; warnings, guards, etc.
- Section 25-9-281 — Safety devices and practices for compressed air receivers, etc.
- Section 25-9-282 — First aid equipment; training of personnel in first aid methods.
- Section 25-9-283 — Provision of sanitary toilets, potable drinking water and drinking cups or fountains.
- Section 25-9-284 — Increase in hazards of pit operations to be reported.
Article 14 Maps and Surveys.
- Section 25-9-300 — Map of mine — Required; contents; filing; examination, etc.
- Section 25-9-301 — Map of mine — Failure or refusal to furnish.
- Section 25-9-302 — Map of mine — Incomplete, inaccurate or imperfect maps.
- Section 25-9-303 — Intermediate surveys.
- Section 25-9-304 — Final survey.
Article 15 Boundaries and Adjacent Landowners.
- Section 25-9-320 — Distance of mine workings from boundary line of mine owner's coal rights.
- Section 25-9-321 — Survey of mine upon petition of adjacent landowner.
- Section 25-9-322 — Refusal to permit adjacent landowner or lessee to inspect mine.
Article 16 Scales and Weighing.
- Section 25-9-340 — Owners to provide scales at mines where miners paid by weight.
- Section 25-9-341 — Coal to be weighed and credited to miner.
- Section 25-9-342 — Miners may furnish check weighman to examine scales, etc.
- Section 25-9-343 — Testing of scales.
- Section 25-9-344 — Access to scales, etc.
- Section 25-9-345 — Failure of mine operators to weigh coal accurately and correctly.
Article 17 Enforcement.
- Section 25-9-360 — Suspension of compliance with chapter; compliance with and enforcement of chapter generally.
- Section 25-9-361 — Superintendent, mine foremen, etc., to comply with and ensure compliance with chapter.
- Section 25-9-362 — Employees, etc., to comply with chapter and rules, etc., of operators.
- Section 25-9-363 — Quarterly reports of mine operators.
- Section 25-9-364 — Posting of abstract of chapter at mines; defacing, etc., of abstract.
- Section 25-9-365 — Inspectors may order suspension of mine operations for violations imminently hazardous to workmen.
- Section 25-9-366 — Review by chief of orders of inspectors.
- Section 25-9-367 — Judicial review of orders suspending mine operations.
- Section 25-9-368 — Injunctions.
- Section 25-9-369 — Representation of department.
- Section 25-9-370 — Unlawful acts for which no other penalty provided.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Alabama may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.