Raul Antia-Perea v. Eric Holder, Jr., No. 12-3641 (7th Cir. 2014)

Annotate this Case
Download PDF
In the United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit ________________________    Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895 & 13 2737    RAUL ANTIA PEREA,  Petitioner,    v.    ERIC H. HOLDER, JR.,  ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES  Respondent.  __________________________    On Petitions for Review of Final Orders  of the Board of Immigration Appeals.  No. A200 837 198  __________________________    ARGUED APRIL 25, 2014   DECIDED SEPTEMBER 25, 2014   __________________________    Before  KANNE  and  ROVNER,  Circuit  Judges,  and  DOW,  District Judge.ï ª  ï ª  The Honorable Robert M. Dow, Jr., of the Northern District of Illinois,  sitting by designation.  2                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  DOW, District Judge. According to the Form I 213 that the  Department  of  Homeland  Security  ( DHS   or  the  Government )  presented  at  his  removal  hearing,  Petitioner  Raul  Antia Perea  is  a  native  and  citizen  of  Colombia  who  was not properly admitted to the United States. Antia Perea  sought  to  subpoena  the  DHS  agent  who  prepared  the  I 213  but  did  not otherwise challenge  the contents of the I 213  or  present any evidence in his own behalf at the removal stage  of  the  proceedings.  An  immigration  judge  ( IJ )  denied  Antia Perea s  subpoena  request,  and,  relying  on  the  I 213,  found him removable to Colombia. The IJ also denied Antia Perea s  request  for  a  six month  continuance  to  seek  a  gubernatorial  pardon  and  found  him  ineligible  for  cancellation  of removal. The Board  of  Immigration Appeals  ( BIA   or  Board )  affirmed  the  IJ s  decision  and  later  denied  Antia Perea s  motion  for  reconsideration.  The  BIA  subsequently denied Antia Perea s motion to reopen, as well  as his request for reconsideration of that ruling.  Antia Perea  now  seeks  relief  from  all  four  of  the  BIA s  decisions  in  this  consolidated  petition  for  review.  Antia Perea contends that the IJ wrongfully denied his requests to  subpoena  and  cross examine  the  DHS  agent  who  prepared  the I 213, improperly concluded that the Government could  and  did  satisfy  its  burden  of  proving  alienage  with  documentary  evidence  alone,  and  erroneously  denied  his  request  for  a  continuance  to  seek  a  pardon.  Antia Perea  further  submits  that  the  IJ  was  biased  against  him  and  that  the  BIA  erred  in  denying  his  motion  to  reopen  and  in  denying  his  motion  to  reconsider  that  ruling.  Because  we  conclude that none of the challenged rulings by the IJ or BIA  was  erroneous,  we  deny  the  consolidated  petition  for  review.  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   3  I.  A.    Removal  Proceedings.  DHS  initiated  removal  proceedings  against  Antia Perea  on  August  20,  2010  by  serving  him  with  a  Notice  to  Appear  ( NTA ).  The  NTA  alleged  that  Antia Perea  was  a  citizen  and  native  of  Colombia who had entered the United States at an unknown  place  and  time  without  being  admitted  or  paroled  by  an  immigration officer. It charged him with removability under  8  U.S.C.  §  1182(a)(6)(A)(i)  as  an  alien  present  in  the  United  States without  being  admitted  or paroled.  The NTA further  alleged  that  Antia Perea  had  been  convicted  of  indecent  liberties  with  a  child,   a  crime  of  moral  turpitude,  and  charged  him  with  removability  on  that  basis  as  well.  See  8  U.S.C. § 1182(a)(2)(A)(i)(I).  Antia Perea appeared pro se before an IJ twice before he  retained  counsel.  The  only  substantive  occurrence  at  those  hearings  was  that  the  Government  filed  and  tendered  to  Antia Perea  several  documents  in  this  case  pertaining  to  allegations  in  the  Notice  to  Appear.   Those  documents  included  a  copy  of  a  Form  I 213,  a  Record  of  Deportable/Inadmissible  Alien   prepared  by  DHS  that  is  typically a record of an immigration inspector s conversation  with  an  alien  who  will  probably  be  subject  to  removal.   Pouhova v. Holder, 726 F.3d 1007, 1013 (7th Cir. 2013). The I 213  stated  that  Antia Perea  came  into  DHS  custody  on  August 20,  2010, and at that  time  voluntarily  admitted  to  DHS  agent  Yesenia  Ochoa  that  he  was  not  a  citizen  or  national of the United States. According to the I 213, Antia Perea was  a native and citizen of Colombia  and  ma[d]e[]  no  claim  to  United  States  citizenship.   The  documents  tendered  to  Antia Perea  also  included  a  Chicago  Police  4                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  Department  rap  sheet,   and  a  newer  iClear  Rap  Sheet.   Both  rap  sheets  indicated  that  Antia Perea  was  born  in  Puerto Rico.  Antia Perea eventually retained counsel, who sought and  received  two  continuances  to  review  the  documents,  make  Freedom  of  Information  Act  requests,  and  generally  get  up  to  speed  with  the  case.  The  matter  was  reassigned  to  a  different  IJ,  and  Antia Perea  and  counsel  appeared  before  the new IJ on May 24, 2011. On the advice of counsel, Antia Perea  declined  to  admit  or  deny  the  NTA s  allegations  against  him.  Antia Perea  further  declined  to  designate  Colombia  as  the  country  of  removal.  He  requested  that  the  Government be put to its burden of proving his alienage and  removability.  Antia Perea  also  asked  that  the  Government  be put to its burden of proving removability before we get to  the relief stage.  The IJ granted these requests and scheduled  the  matter  for  a  contested  hearing  on  the  issue  of  removability.  However,  the  IJ  denied  Antia Perea s  request  for  subpoenas  for  the  makers  of  any  and  all  Government  documents  that  are  coming  in.   The  IJ  advised  Antia Perea  that  this  request  was  too  broad   and  told  him  that  he  would  have  to  identify  what  it  is  that  you re  seeking  and  specify  the  nature  of  the  request.   The  IJ  directed  the  Government to serve counsel with the documents it planned  to  use  no  later  than  15  days  before  the  contested  hearing,  which  was  set  for  June  28,  2011.  The  IJ  also  directed  the  Government  to  have  all  of  its  witnesses  available  for  the  hearing so that the case could proceed in an orderly fashion.  At  the  contested  hearing,  the  Government  called  Antia Perea as its sole witness. Antia Perea refused to answer any  of  the  Government s  questions.  In  light  of  Antia Perea s  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   5  silence, the Government requested that the IJ make a finding  of  removability  on  the  documentary  evidence  it  had  submitted:  the  I 213,  the  rap  sheets,  and  a  few  other  documents  pertaining  to  Antia Perea s  convictions.  The  Government  argued  that  the  I 213  establishes  that  he  did  advise an Immigration Officer that he s a native and citizen  of  Colombia.   The  Government  did  not  call  to  the  IJ s  attention the discrepancy between the I 213, which reported  Colombia  as  Antia Perea s  birthplace,  and  the  rap  sheets,  which  identified  Puerto  Rico  as  Antia Perea s  birthplace.  Neither did Antia Perea or his counsel.  Instead,  Antia Perea s  counsel  advised  the  IJ  that  Antia Perea refused to testify as to the authenticity or the accuracy  of  the  I 213  and  reiterated  his  request  to  subpoena  the  preparer of that and the Government s other documents. The  IJ  again  denied  the  request  as  overly  broad.  The  IJ  also  denied  Antia Perea s  request  to  cross examine  the  preparer  of the I 213, rejecting Antia Perea s contention that he had a  right to do so under Malave v. Holder, 610 F.3d 483 (7th Cir.  2010),  and  8  U.S.C.  §  1229a(b)(4)(B).  The  IJ  further  rejected  Antia Perea s  challenge  to  the  Government s  failure  to  produce  any  witnesses  aside  from  Antia Perea  himself.  The  IJ explained that the Government  does not have to present  any  witness  to  establish  removability.  They  could  do  it  solely from documentary evidence.  The IJ gave Antia Perea  an  opportunity  to  challeng[e]  the  documentary  evidence,  through  testimony  or  affidavits  or  something  else   on  rebuttal,  but  Antia Perea  declined.  He  expressly  stated  that  he objected to the use of the I 213 solely on the ground that  we re  not  being  permitted  to  cross examine  the  maker  of  this document.   6                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  Ultimately, the IJ concluded that the I 213 was a reliable  document  that  clearly  establishe[d]  the  respondent s  alienage  and that Antia Perea failed to show that  the time,  manner, and place of his entry  were such that his presence  in  the  United  States  was  authorized.  The  IJ  therefore  found  that  Antia Perea  was  removable  under  §  212(a)(6)(A)(i)  of  the  Immigration  and  Nationality  Act,  8  U.S.C.  §  1182(a)(6)(A)(i).  At  the  same  time,  the  IJ  concluded  that  the  Government s  evidence  was  insufficient  to  establish  removability  on  the  NTA s  second  charge.  The  IJ  did  not  address  the  fact  that  the  rap  sheets  listed  Puerto  Rico  as  Antia Perea s birthplace. Neither did counsel for either side.  Antia Perea s  counsel  did  request  a  continuance  to  file  various  requests  for  relief  from  removability  and  an  application  for  cancellation  of  removal.  The  IJ  granted  this  request  over  the  Government s  objection  to  allow  Antia Perea to  file any applications that you want me to consider  in  your  case.   The  IJ  set  the  matter  for  a  hearing  on  September 13, 2011.  At  the  September  13  hearing,  Antia Perea  submitted  an  application  for  cancellation  of  removal,  on  which  he  left  unanswered  the  questions  about  his  birthplace,  nationality,  current  citizenship,  and  his  entry  into  the  United  States.  Counsel  indicated  that  Antia Perea  would  refer  to  the  record  that  was  submitted  previously  by  the  Government.   Counsel  also  informed  the  IJ  that  Antia Perea s  son,  then  a  student  at  John  Marshall  Law  School,  was  preparing  documentation  seeking  a  pardon  of  the  things  that  would  bar,  perhaps  statutorily,  Mr.  Antia  from  receiving  cancellation.   Counsel  asked  the  IJ  for  a  six month  continuance  for  us  to  try  to  obtain  a  pardon  from  the  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   7  governor,  expressing  to  the  governor  the  need  for  urgency  here.   Antia Perea  respectfully  refus[ed]   to  answer  the  IJ s  questions  about  his  application  for  cancellation  of  removal.  Counsel  told  the  IJ  that  he  believed  that  Antia Perea  could  establish a prima facie case for relief without testifying. The  IJ disagreed. The IJ addressed Antia Perea directly and told  him  that  his  application  for  cancellation  of  removal  was  inadequate  in  its  present  state.  The  IJ  also  advised  Antia Perea  that  he  as  the  applicant  for  cancellation  of  removal  bore  the  burden  of  showing  an  entitlement  to  relief.  The  IJ  gave  Antia Perea  a  one week  continuance  to  discuss  the  matter with counsel.  Then you can come back to court next  week  with  a  completed  application,  and  you  have  to  be  prepared to testify in support of your application next week.  If you choose not to testify, then I ll make a decision whether  your application can be granted or not.  The IJ denied Antia Perea s requested continuance to allow for the processing of  the pardon application, however, reasoning that the grant of  a pardon was  too speculative  to warrant a continuation of  the already protracted proceedings.  At the continued hearing a week later, counsel presented  the  IJ  with  several  documents  in  support  of  Antia Perea s  application  for  cancellation  of  removal,  including  his  wife s  naturalization papers, tourist cards issued by the Colombian  consulate listing Puerto Rico as Antia Perea s place of birth,  and birth certificates of Antia Perea s adult children that said  the  same.  Antia Perea  did  not  testify,  nor  did  he  seek  any  other type of relief, such as voluntary departure.  The  IJ  issued  a  written  decision  on  September  26,  2011.  The IJ found that the Government had carried its burden of  8                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  proving  Antia Perea  removable  by  clear  and  convincing  evidence  by  way  of  the  I 213.  The  IJ  cited  Seventh  Circuit  case law for the proposition that the I 213 is  presumptively  reliable  such that it is admissible as evidence of the truth of  its  contents  barring  any  countervailing  evidence  of  inaccuracy  or  duress.  The  IJ  also  explained  that  he  denied  Antia Perea s  subpoena  request  for  lack  of  good  cause  because  he  did  not  present  any  evidence  undermining  the  accuracy  of  the  document  or  the  methods  by  which  it  was  obtained.   The  IJ  rejected  Antia Perea s  reliance  on  Malave  and concluded that without some evidence impugning the I 213,  it  is  not  apparent  what  information  the  respondent  would  elicit  through  cross examination  of  its  author.   He  ruled that  [t]he regulations governing subpoenas require at  least  that  much,   and  cited  in  support  8  C.F.R.  §  1003.35(b)(2),  which  by  its  terms  requires  a  party  applying  for  a  subpoena  to  state  in  writing  or  at  the  proceeding,  what  he  or  she  expects  to  prove  by  such  witnesses  or  documentary evidence, and to show affirmatively that he or  she has made diligent effort, without success, to produce the  same.   The  IJ  also  formally  denied  Antia Perea s  request  for  cancellation of removal. The IJ found that, in light of the rap  sheets, which Antia Perea conceded were applicable to him,  there  is  at  least  a  reasonable  indicat[ion]   that  the  respondent is barred from cancellation of removal by section  240A(b)(1)(C),   8  U.S.C.  §  1229b(b)(1)(C).  The  IJ  further  noted  that  Antia Perea  had  sought  a  continuance  to  seek  a  pardon  but  that  he  had  denied  the  request  because  he  did  not  want  to  delay  proceedings  and  finds  the  respondent s  request too speculative.   Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   9  B.    Appeal  to  the  BIA.  Antia Perea  timely  appealed  the  IJ s decision to the BIA. He contended that the IJ erred in (1)  admitting  the  Form  I 213  into  evidence;  (2)  denying  his  request  to  cross examine  the  maker  of  the  Form  I 213;  (3)  ruling  that  the  Government  had  established  alienage;  (4)  ordering  him  deported;  and  (5)  denying  his  request  for  a  continuance to seek a gubernatorial pardon. Antia Perea also  asserted  that  the  IJ  was  biased  in  favor  of  the  Government  and against him, and denied him his right to due process.  The  BIA  dismissed  the  appeal  after  reviewing  the  IJ s  findings  of  fact  for  clear  error  and  all  other  issues  de  novo.  Especially  pertinent  here,  the  BIA  agreed  with  the  IJ  that  DHS  met  its  burden  of  establishing  alienage  and  removability  based  on  the  Form  I 213.  The  BIA  found  that  [t]here  is  nothing  facially  suspect  about  the  Form  I 213,   and that absent some evidence or even allegations that an I 213  is  inaccurate,  it  may  be  considered  inherently  reliable  and can be sufficient to establish alienage. Notwithstanding  Antia Perea s failure to raise the issue before the IJ, the BIA  acknowledged  that  the  rap  sheets  in  the  record  indicated  that  Antia Perea  was born in Puerto Rico. It accorded these  documents  little  weight,  however,  reasoning  that  [i]nformation  such  as  place  of  birth  for  such  documents  is  typically  provided  by  the  individual  to  whom  they  pertain,  rather than an independent or verified source.  The BIA also  agreed with the IJ that  [w]hether and when the respondent  may  be  granted  pardon  is  too  speculative  to  provide  good  cause  for  a  continuance.   Additionally,  the  BIA  found  that  Antia Perea  has not shown he was prejudiced by the denial  of a continuance  to seek a pardon, because  [t]he finding of  removability was not based on his convictions, and the lack  of a disqualifying conviction is only one of several statutory  10                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  factors  for  cancellation  of  removal  that  the  respondent  did  not demonstrate.  The BIA rejected Antia Perea s assertions  of  bias  out  of  hand  for  failure  to  cite  specific  examples  of  impropriety.  C.  First Motion for Reconsideration. Antia Perea timely  petitioned  this  Court  for  review  of  the  BIA s  decision  (No.  12 3641).  While  his  petition  was  pending,  he  filed  a  motion  asking  the  BIA  to  reconsider  its  decision.  He  essentially  reiterated the contentions that he made on initial review and  asserted that the BIA erred in rejecting his requests for relief.  The  BIA  denied  Antia Perea s  motion  to  reconsider  without engaging in new analysis. Antia Perea timely filed a  petition for review of this decision (No. 13 1228).  D.  Motion to Reopen. In January 2013, Antia Perea filed  a  motion  requesting  that  the  BIA  reopen  his  proceedings  pursuant  to  8  C.F.R.  §  1003.2(c)(1)  and  remand  them  to  a  different  IJ.  His  motion  presented  virtually  all  of  the  arguments  that  the  BIA  previously  rejected.  In  the  final  paragraphs  of  his  motion,  he  raised  for  the  first  time  an  alleged  fear  of  deportation  to  Colombia  and  sought  a  hearing  on his request for political asylum, withholding of  removal,  and/or  protection  under  the  United  Nations  Convention Against  Torture.  In support of this request for  relief,  he  cited  a  60  Minutes  report  on  the  Super  Cartel   in  Colombia  and  submitted  affidavit  testimony  that  he  feared  for  [his]  life  if  [he  is]  deported  to  Colombia  because  the  Super Cartel may want to retaliate against [him] if they were  to  find  out  [his]  daughter  is  an  [Immigration  and  Customs  Enforcement]  ICE  agent.   Antia Perea  later  supplemented  this  motion  with  a  transcript  of  the  segment  on  the  Super  Cartel.  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   11  The BIA denied Antia Perea s motion to reopen on April  12,  2013.  It  noted  that  [m]ost  of  the  issues  raised  in  the  respondent s  motion  to  reopen  were  adequately  addressed  in  our  October  22,  2012,  decision  or  were  addressed  in  our  January  18,  2013,  decision.   Accordingly,  the  BIA  substantively  addressed  only  Antia Perea s  requests  for  asylum,  withholding  of  removal,  and  relief  under  the  Convention  Against  Torture  ( CAT ).  It  did  so  briefly,  concluding  that  Antia Perea  failed  to  show  prima  facie  eligibility  for  asylum  and  withholding  of  removal   because  he failed to show that  the Super Cartel would likely become  aware  upon  his  return  to  Colombia  (or  after)  that  his  daughter is an ICE agent.  Because his CAT claim was based  on the same evidence, the BIA summarily denied that claim  as  well.  Antia Perea  petitioned  for  review  of  the  BIA s  decision (No. 13 1895).  E.  Second Motion for Reconsideration. On May 9, 2013,  Antia Perea  filed  with  the  BIA  a  motion  to  reconsider  its  denial  of  his  motion  requesting  relief  from  removal.  He  argued  that  the  evidence  he  provided  the  BIA  was  sufficient to demonstrate that his fear of persecution is both  subjectively  genuine  and  grounded  in  an  objectively  reasonable  basis.   He  also  claimed  that  the  BIA s  failure  to  grant  him  a  hearing  infringed  his  due  process  rights  and  that  to  remove  him  to  Colombia  would  be  violative  of  the  International  obligations  of  the  United  States.   Antia Perea  added  for  the  BIA s  consideration  two  news  articles  about  ICE  agents  and  informants  getting  killed  by  Mexican  drug  cartels in East El Paso, Texas.  The BIA denied Antia Perea s motion, which it treated as  a motion to reopen in light of the newly appended articles. It  12                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  concluded  that  there  was  little  commonality   between  Antia Perea s  fear  and  the  fear  expressed  by  one  of  the  subjects  in  the  60  Minutes  segment.  The  BIA  considered  Antia Perea s  two  news  articles  and  concluded  that  he  was  not  similarly  situated  to  ICE  agents,  Texas  Rangers,  or  informants  for  ICE.   Antia Perea  filed  a  fourth  petition  seeking review of this decision (No. 13 2737).  II.  There is no dispute that all four of Antia Perea s petitions  for  review  concern  final  decisions,  were  timely  submitted,  and  are  properly  before  this  Court.  See  El Gazawy  v.  Holder,  690  F.3d  852,  857  (7th  Cir.  2012).  Our  jurisdiction  to  review  the petitions, which assert legal and constitutional claims, is  secure. See 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(D). Accordingly, we address  in  turn  the  arguments  that  Antia Perea  has  properly  presented  and  preserved  throughout  the  administrative  process.  A.  Antia Perea first contends that the IJ and BIA violated his  due process rights by denying him an opportunity to cross examine the DHS agent who drafted the I 213.  Aliens in removal proceedings are entitled to due process  of  law  under  the  Fifth  Amendment.  Reno  v.  Flores,  507  U.S.  292, 306 (1993). Statutory provisions also impose procedural  requirements  on  removal  proceedings.  See  8  U.S.C.  §  1229a(b)(4).  Any  proceeding  that  meets  the requirements  of  the  statute  also  satisfies  the  requirements  of  constitutional  due  process.  Rehman  v.  Gonzales,  441  F.3d  506,  508  (7th  Cir.  2006).  Because  Antia Perea  does  not  challenge  the  constitutional adequacy of the statutory rights, we focus our  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   13  analysis  on  those  statutory  rights.  See  Portillo Rendon  v.  Holder, 662 F.3d 815, 817 (7th Cir. 2011); Malave v. Holder, 610  F.3d 483, 487 (7th Cir. 2010)   Section  1229a(b)(4)(B)  provides  that  an  alien  in  removal  proceedings  shall  have  a  reasonable  opportunity  to  examine  the  evidence  against  the  alien,  to  present  evidence  on  the  alienʹs  own  behalf,  and  to  cross examine  witnesses  presented  by  the  Government.   An  alien  who  challenges  a  removal  order  by  claiming  a  violation  of  these  rights  must  show  both  that  the  proceeding  did  not  meet  these  requirements  and  that  he  was  prejudiced  as  a  result.  Apouviepseakoda v. Gonzales, 475 F.3d 881, 885 (7th Cir. 2007).  The Government must demonstrate removability by clear  and convincing evidence. 8 U.S.C. § 1229a(c)(3). The Federal  Rules of Evidence do not apply in immigration proceedings.  Doumbia  v.  Gonzales,  472  F.3d  957,  962  (7th  Cir.  2007).  Evidence  is  admissible  so  long  as  it  is  probative  and  its  admission is fundamentally fair.  Barradas v Holder, 582 F.3d  754,  762  (7th  Cir.  2009).  The  fairness  of  an  evidentiary  submission depends in part on its reliability. Duad v. United  States, 556 F.3d 592, 596 (7th Cir. 2009).  As Antia Perea concedes, it is well established that the I 213  is  a  presumptively  reliable  and  admissible  document.  Indeed,  [a]s  a  general  rule,  a  Form  I 213  is  treated  as  inherently  trustworthy  and  admissible  even  without  the  testimony of the officer who prepared it.  Pouhova v. Holder, 726  F.3d  1007,  1013  (7th  Cir.  2013)  (emphasis  added);  see  also  Gutierrez Berdin  v.  Holder,  618  F.3d  647,  653  (7th  Cir.  2010)  ( Form  I 213  is  a  presumptively  reliable  administrative  document. ). This is because when the information sought to  be  admitted  was  recorded  by  a[  ]  [DHS]  agent  in  a  public  14                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  record,   the  absent  agent  cannot  be  presumed  to  be  an  unfriendly  witness  or  other  than  an  accurate  recorder.   Barradas v. Holder, 582 F.3d 754, 763 (7th Cir. 2009) (quoting  Espinoza v. INS, 45 F.3d 308, 311 (9th Cir.1995)). Accordingly,  we  have  held  that  an  I 213  is  reliable  unless  there  is  some  indication  that  the  information  it  contains  is  manifestly  incorrect or was obtained by duress. Id.  Antia Perea did not introduce any evidence or make any  argument challenging the contents, creation, or reliability of  the  I 213  at  the  removal  stage  of  his  proceedings.  He  nonetheless  contends  that  his  case  is  closely  analogous  to  Pouhova v. Holder, 726 F.3d 1007 (7th Cir. 2013), in which we  held that an alien improperly was denied the opportunity to  cross examine  the  drafter  of  an  I 213  notwithstanding  the  general  rule  to  the  contrary.  We  respectfully  disagree.  In  Pouhova,  the  Government  attempted  to  prove  that  the  petitioner  assisted  an  alien  who  was  trying  to  enter  the  United  States  illegally  by  submitting  a  transcript  of  an  agent s  interview  with  the  alleged  smuglee not  the  petitioner and an I 213 that was prepared seven years later  purportedly  documenting  that  conversation.  Pouhova  challenged  the  admission  of  the  transcript  and  the  I 213,  arguing that she was prejudiced without the opportunity to  cross examine  the  interviewee.  We  held  that  the  I 213  exhibit[ed]  several  shortcomings  that  undermine  the  usual  presumption of reliability, none of which were addressed by  the  Board,   including  the  seven year  lapse  of  time  between  the  interview  and  the  Form s  creation,  its  significant  divergence from [the interviewee s] statement, its reliance on  untranslated  testimony,  and  the  fact  that  it  recorded  a  conversation  not  with  Pouhova,  who  was  the  subject of  the  form  and  the  removal  proceedings,  but  with  [another  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   15  individual].   Id.  at  1014;  see  also  id.  at  1015  ( This  I 213  therefore was not inherently reliable because it was recorded  seven  years  late,  its  critical  information  was  obtained  from  someone  other  than  the  subject  of  the  form,  and  it  contradicts  the  other  written  account  of  its  source. ).  We  expressly  noted  that  [i]n  a  more  typical  case,  the  subject  herself will have some basis to contest the statements in the  document.  She  will  have  been  present  for  the  conversation  that is reported.  Id.  This  case  is  distinguishable  from  Pouhova  in  two  significant respects. First, there is no indication that the I 213  was prepared years after the fact like the one in Pouhova. To  the  contrary,  it  was  prepared  on  the  same  day  that  Agent  Ochoa  interviewed  Antia Perea.  Second,  and  more  importantly,  Antia Perea  was  present  for  the  interview  recorded in the I 213 and accordingly could have challenged  its  contents  or  creation  himself.  Pouhova  does  not  hold  that  an  alleged  alien  always  must  be  given  an  opportunity  to  examine the maker of an I 213; Pouhova instead holds that it  is  fundamentally  unfair  for  an  IJ  to  admit  and  rely  upon  a  belatedly  prepared  I 213  documenting  an  interview  with  someone  other  than  the  respondent  without  giving  the  respondent an opportunity to cross examine the interviewee  or the DHS agent who conducted the interview. Here, Antia Perea who was the interviewee could have chosen to tell  his  side  of  the  story  or  otherwise  called  into  question  the  circumstances surrounding the I 213 s creation. He declined  every opportunity to do so, and the IJ did not err by drawing  adverse  inferences  from  Antia Perea s  silence.  See  Gutierrez Berdin v. Holder, 618 F.3d 647, 656 (7th Cir. 2010); Flores Leon  v. INS, 272 F.3d 433, 440 (7th Cir. 2001).  16                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  Antia Perea  also  relies  heavily  on  Malave  v.  Holder,  610  F.3d  483  (7th  Cir.  2010),  for  the  proposition  that  he  is  entitled  to  cross examine  witnesses  of  the  government,  whether  the  evidence  comes  in  orally  or  in  writing.   But  Malave,  like  Pouhova,  is  distinguishable.  In  Malave,  we  held  that  an  alien s  right  to  due  process  at  her  removal  hearing  was  violated  when  she  did  not  have  the  opportunity  to  cross examine  her  estranged  husband,  whose  statement  the  Government relied upon to prove a sham marriage. Like the  statement in Pouhova, however, the statement in Malave was  made by someone other than the respondent. While it is true  that DHS cannot nullify aliens  right to cross examination by  presenting  written  declarations  rather  than  live  testimony,  Malave,  610  F.3d  at  487,  the  individual  whose  statements  were  recorded  in  the  I 213  was  Antia Perea  himself.  And  Antia Perea elected not to challenge the contents of the I 213  or  the  circumstances  surrounding  its  creation.  He  also  elected  not  to  reiterate  his  request  for  a  subpoena,  or  conform  it  to  the  specifications  of  8  C.F.R.  §  1003.35(b)(2).  Antia Perea  received  all  of  the  process  to  which  he  was  entitled with respect to the I 213.  B.  Antia Perea  next  argues  that  the  rap  sheets  and  the  documents  that  he  submitted  at  the  relief  stage  of  his  proceedings the  incomplete  application  for  cancellation  of  removal,  the  travel  card,  his  wife s  naturalization  papers,  and  his  children s  birth  certificates undermined  the  inherent reliability of the I 213 and rendered it insufficient to  establish  that he  was  an alien.  The IJ considered  only  the  I 213  and  found  it  sufficient  to  establish  Antia Perea s  alienage.  In  reviewing  the  IJ s  decision,  the  BIA  also  took  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   17  into account the rap sheets and documents that Antia Perea  submitted  in  support  of  his  application  for  cancellation  of  removal. The BIA nonetheless concluded that  the totality of  the  evidence   was  sufficient  to  establish  Antia Perea s  alienage. Antia Perea contends that the IJ and BIA erred as a  matter of law.  When  the  Board  agrees  with  the  decision  of  the  immigration  judge,  adopts  that  decision  and  supplements  that  decision  with  its  own  reasoning,  as  it  did  here,  we  review the immigration judge s decision as supplemented by  the  Board.   Cece  v.  Holder,  733  F.3d  662,  675  (7th  Cir.  2013)  (en  banc).  We  review  findings  of  fact  for  substantial  evidence  and  reverse  only  if  the  evidence  compels  a  different  result.  Young  Dong  Kim  v.  Holder,  737  F.3d  1181,  1184  (7th  Cir.  2013).  We  review  questions  of  law  de  novo,  deferring to the Board s reasonable interpretation set forth in  precedential opinions interpreting the statute.  Id.  We  cannot  conclude  that  the  IJ  or  BIA  erred  under  any  standard.  In  the  case  of  a  respondent  charged  as  being  in  the  United  States  without  being  admitted  or  paroled,  the  [Government]  must  first  establish  the  alienage  of  the  respondent.   8  C.F.R.  §  1240.8(c);  see  also  Mozdzen  v.  Holder,  622 F.3d 680, 683 (7th Cir. 2010); Gutierrez Berdin, 618 F.3d at  657. Once the Government makes that showing, the burden  shifts to the respondent to prove that he is lawfully present  in the United States pursuant to a prior admission. 8 C.F.R. §  1240.8;  Mozdzen,  622  F.3d  at  683.  Here,  during  the  removal  stage  of  the  proceedings,  which  were  bifurcated  at  Antia Perea s request, the Government came forward with an I 213  stating that Antia Perea had  voluntarily admitted that he is  not a citizen of the United States  and that he was  a native  18                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  and citizen of Colombia.   Antia Perea declined to raise  any  challenge to the contents or creation of the I 213. He likewise  neglected  to  point  out  the  discrepancies  between  the  rap  sheets  and  the  I 213  or  proffer  the  documents  that  he  later  submitted  during  the  relief  stage  of  the  proceedings.  Accordingly, the IJ had no reason not to afford the I 213 the  standard  presumption  of  reliability.  Nor  did  the  IJ  have  a  basis  to  deviate  from  our  precedent,  which  holds  that  a  sparse   record  consisting  of  an  NTA  and  I 213  can  be  sufficient to establish alienage where the alien remains silent  and  fails  to  dispute  the  Government s  evidence.  See  Gutierrez Berdin,  618  F.3d  at  656 57.  The  IJ  properly  concluded  that  the  burden  of  proof  shifted  to  Antia Perea,  and there is no question that he failed to carry it.  The  BIA s  supplemental  (and  apparently  sua  sponte,  as  Antia Perea  did  not  argue  that  the  rap  sheets  or  his  documents  undermined  the  I 213)  consideration  of  the  rap  sheets  and  the  submissions  that  Antia Perea  made  at  the  relief stage led it to the same conclusion that the IJ reached.  The  BIA  weighed  Antia Perea s  silence  and  selectively  incomplete  application  for  cancellation  of  removal  against  the  documents  indicating  that  he  was  a  citizen  of  Puerto  Rico  and  found  the  former  more  persuasive  than  the  latter.  We find no error in this assessment. Immigration courts are  permitted to draw adverse inferences from a person s refusal  to  answer  questions  about  his  origin  during  a  hearing,  Gutierrez Berdin,  618  F.3d  at  656,  and  Antia Perea  has  not  demonstrated that such inferences were unwarranted here.  C.  Antia Perea  next  contends  that  the  IJ  violated  his  due  process  rights  by  denying  his  request  for  continuance  to  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   19  allow him to seek a gubernatorial pardon. He asserts that the  Board erred when it agreed that pursuit of a pardon was too  speculative to provide good cause for a continuance, because  8  U.S.C.  §  1227(a)(2)(A)(vi)  expressly  provides  that  an  alien  may not be adjudicated removable on the basis of a criminal  conviction if he receives a full and unconditional pardon for  the  offense.  Not  only  do  these  contentions  miss  the  mark  because Antia Perea was not found removable based on his  convictions, they do not establish a due process violation.  To  establish  a  due  process  violation,  Antia Perea  must  demonstrate  that  he  had  a  protected  liberty  or  property  interest in seeking the continuance. Adame v. Holder,   F.3d   ,  2014  WL  3909115,  at  *2  (7th  Cir.  Aug.  12,  2014)  (citing  Brock  v.  Roadway  Express,  Inc.,  481  U.S.  252,  260  (1987)).  He  cannot  do  so.  While  a  noncitizen  has  a  protected  liberty  interest in remaining in the United States, that interest does  not  encompass  a  right  to  favorable  decisions  that  would  allow the petitioner to seek discretionary relief.  Id.; see also  Darif v. Holder, 739 F.3d 329, 336 (7th Cir. 2014) (holding that  the  right  to  due  process  does  not  extend  to  discretionary  forms of relief from removal  and that  the opportunity for  discretionary  relief  from  removal  is  not  a  protected  liberty  interest  because  aliens  do  not  have  a  legitimate  claim  of  entitlement  to  it ).  A  gubernatorial  pardon  is  a  quintessential  form  of  discretionary  relief.  There  is  no  Fourteenth  Amendment  property  or  liberty  interest  in  obtaining  a  pardon  in  Illinois no  substantive  entitlement,  in  other  words and  so  no  ground  for  a  claim  of  denial  of  due  process.   Bowens  v.  Quinn,  561  F.3d  671,  673  (7th  Cir.  2009).  Accordingly,  neither  the  Board  nor  the  IJ  violated  Antia Perea s  due  process  rights  by  denying  the  continuance.  20                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  D.  Antia Perea next contends that the BIA erred in denying  his  motion  to  reopen  because  it  lump[ed]  together  in  one  broad  brush  each  of  Petitioner s  claims  for  asylum,  withholding  of  removal,  and  protection  under  CAT   rather  giving each its due consideration. We will uphold the BIA s  denial of a motion to reopen  unless it was made without a  rational explanation, inexplicably departed from established  policies,  or  rested  on  an  impermissible  basis  such  as  invidious discrimination against a particular race or group.   Munoz Avila v. Holder, 716 F.3d 976, 982 (7th Cir. 2013).  Generally, the Board may deny an applicant s motion to  reopen if the applicant fails to establish a prima facie case of  eligibility  for  the  underlying  relief  sought.  Kay  v.  Ashcroft,  387 F.3d 664,  674 (7th Cir. 2004). That is the basis on which  the  BIA  denied  Antia Perea s  motion.  Antia Perea  contends  that  the  Board s  analysis  was  flawed,  however,  because  it  did  not  separately  parse  his  requests  for  asylum,  withholding  of  removal,  and  protection  under  the  CAT.  Although we  have recognized that it may be  problematic   for the Board to analyze distinct claims for relief in a single  stroke,  we  have  nonetheless  denied  petitions  for  relief  predicated  on  this  error   when  we  are  able  to  discern  the  BIA s reasoning for its decision as to each claim. See Munoz Avila v. Holder, 716 F.3d 976, 982 (7th Cir. 2013). We likewise  have  recognized  that  there  is  significant  overlap  among  claims for asylum, withholding of removal, and relief under  the CAT such that an unsuccessful asylum claim may doom  related  claims  for  withholding  of  removal  or  protection  under  the  CAT,  as  those  types  of  relief  have  more  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   21  stringent   requirements.  See  Hassan  v.  Holder,  571  F.3d  631,  644 (7th Cir. 2009).  The  Board s analysis in this regard was  less than  stellar.  Although  it  demonstrated  that  it  had  considered  Antia Perea s  evidentiary  submissions,  the  Board  neglected  to  set  forth  the  standards  against  which  those  submissions  were  measured for each form of relief. Nonetheless, it is clear from  the  Board s  discussion  that  it  denied  Antia Perea s  requests  for asylum and withholding of removal because it concluded  that  the  harm  Antia Perea  feared  was  too  speculative  to  merit  relief.  This  is  a  valid  and  rational  basis  on  which  to  deny  both  types  of  claim.  Asylum  applicants  who  have  not  been  persecuted  in  the  past  may  demonstrate  eligibility  for  relief  only  by  showing  a  fear  of  future  persecution  that  is  subjectively  genuine  and  objectively  reasonable.   Georgieva  v.  Holder,  751  F.3d  514,  522  (7th  Cir.  2014).  The  objective  component  requires  the  applicant  to  prove  either  a  reasonable  probability  that  he  will  be  singled  out  for  persecution  or  a  pattern  or  practice  against  a  particular  group  to  which  he  belongs.  Id.  at  522 23.  Similarly,  an  applicant seeking withholding of removal must demonstrate  a  clear  probability   of  harm  by  showing  that  it  is  more  likely  than  not   that  he  will  suffer  persecution  if  removed.  Hassan, 571 F.3d at 644. This  clear probability  requirement  is  more  stringent   than  the  requirements  for  asylum  eligibility. Id. Thus, the Board s conclusion that Antia Perea s  evidence  did  not  demonstrate  that  the  Super  Cartel  was  likely  to  become  aware  of  his  daughter s  employment  with  ICE necessarily undermined both of these claims.  As  we  have  recognized  in  Hassan  and  elsewhere,  the  burden  of  proof  for  CAT  protection  is  more  stringent  still  22                             Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737  than  that  for  asylum  or  withholding  of  removal,  as  the  applicant must show that it is  more likely than not that he  or  she  would  be  tortured  if  removed  to  the  proposed  country of removal.  8 C.F.R. § 208.16(c)(2); Hassan, 571 F.3d  at  644.  Here,  the  Board  rationally,  albeit  summarily,  concluded  that  Antia Perea s  evidence which,  notwithstanding his current contentions was the same for all  three  types  of  relief could  not  support  a  likelihood  of  torture if it was too speculative to demonstrate persecution.  See  Bathula  v.  Holder,  723  F.3d  889,  903  (7th  Cir.  2013).  The  harsh  definition  of  torture,   see  8  C.F.R.  §  208.18,  sets  a  high  bar  for  relief,   Sarhan  v.  Holder,  658  F.3d  649,  653  (7th  Cir.  2011),  and  the  Board  did  not  abuse  its  discretion  in  concluding  that  Antia Perea  could  not  clear  it  with  his  evidence concerning the Super Cartel.  E.  Antia Perea  finally  contends  that  his  due  process  rights  were violated because the IJ was not fair and impartial. The  BIA rejected this argument during Antia Perea s first appeal  because he failed to offer any evidence of bias aside from the  adverse  rulings  against  him,  and  declined  to  revisit  its  decision  on  reconsideration.  We  find  no  error  in  these  rulings.  The  Fifth  Amendment s  due  process  clause  guarantees  the right to an impartial decisionmaker, Firishchak v. Holder,  636  F.3d  305,  309  (7th  Cir.  2011),  but  judicial  rulings  alone  almost  never  constitute  a  valid  basis  for  a  bias  or  partiality  motion.  Liteky v. United States, 510 U.S. 540, 555 (1994). And  judicial rulings are all that Antia Perea is able to point to; he  contends  that  the  IJ  erred  in  denying  his  subpoena  request,  in  finding  the  I 213  reliable,  and  in  denying  his  request  for  Nos. 12 3641, 13 1228, 13 1895, 13 2737                                   23  continuance. Antia Perea has not demonstrated how the IJ s  procedurally  and  legally  correct  rulings  evince  bias.  The  Board did not err in rejecting Antia Perea s underdeveloped  assertions of bias in the first instance or abuse its discretion  in denying his motion to reconsider. See Muratoski v. Holder,  622 F.3d 824, 830 (7th Cir. 2010).  III.  For  all  of  the  reasons  stated  above,  Antia Perea  has  not  demonstrated that the IJ or the Board legally erred or denied  him  due  process.  Accordingly,  his  consolidated  petition  for  review is DENIED. 

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.