2006 Code of Virginia § 59.1-336 - Short title and definitions
59.1-336. Short title and definitions.
As used in this chapter, which may be cited as the Uniform Trade Secrets Act,unless the context requires otherwise:
"Improper means" includes theft, bribery, misrepresentation, breach of aduty or inducement of a breach of a duty to maintain secrecy, or espionagethrough electronic or other means.
1. Acquisition of a trade secret of another by a person who knows or hasreason to know that the trade secret was acquired by improper means; or
2. Disclosure or use of a trade secret of another without express or impliedconsent by a person who
a. Used improper means to acquire knowledge of the trade secret; or
b. At the time of disclosure or use, knew or had reason to know that hisknowledge of the trade secret was
(1) Derived from or through a person who had utilized improper means toacquire it;
(2) Acquired under circumstances giving rise to a duty to maintain itssecrecy or limit its use;
(3) Derived from or through a person who owed a duty to the person seekingrelief to maintain its secrecy or limit its use; or
(4) Acquired by accident or mistake.
"Person" means a natural person, corporation, business trust, estate,trust, partnership, association, joint venture, government, governmentalsubdivision or agency, or any other legal or commercial entity.
"Trade secret" means information, including but not limited to, a formula,pattern, compilation, program, device, method, technique, or process, that:
1. Derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not beinggenerally known to, and not being readily ascertainable by proper means by,other persons who can obtain economic value from its disclosure or use, and
2. Is the subject of efforts that are reasonable under the circumstances tomaintain its secrecy.
(1986, c. 210.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.