2006 Code of Virginia § 46.2-916.3 - Limitations on golf cart and utility vehicle operations on designated public highways
46.2-916.3. Limitations on golf cart and utility vehicle operations ondesignated public highways.
A. Golf cart and utility vehicle operations on designated public highwaysshall be in accordance with the following limitations:
1. A golf cart or utility vehicle may be operated only on designated publichighways where the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less. No golfcart or utility vehicle shall cross any highway at an intersection where thehighway being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than 25 miles per hour;
2. No person shall operate any golf cart or utility vehicle on any publichighway unless he has in his possession a valid driver's license;
3. Every golf cart or utility vehicle, whenever operated on a public highway,shall display a slow-moving vehicle emblem in conformity with 46.2-1081; and
4. Golf carts and utility vehicles shall be operated upon the public highwaysonly between sunrise and sunset, unless equipped with such lights as arerequired in Article 3 ( 46.2-1010 et seq.) of Chapter 10 of this title, fordifferent classes of vehicles.
B. The limitations of subdivision A 1 shall not apply to golf carts andutility vehicles being operated as follows:
1. To cross a highway from one portion of a golf course to another portionthereof or to another adjacent golf course; or to travel between a person'shome and golf course if (i) the trip would not be longer than one-half milein either direction, and (ii) the speed limit on the road is no more than 35miles per hour;
2. To the extent necessary for local government employees, operating onlyupon highways located within the locality, to fulfill a governmental purpose,provided the golf cart or utility vehicle is being operated on highways withspeed limits of 35 miles per hour or less; and
3. As necessary by employees of public or private two-year or four-yearinstitutions of higher education if operating on highways within the propertylimits of such institutions, provided the golf cart or utility vehicle isbeing operated on highways with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or less.
C. The governing body of any county, city, or town may by ordinance imposeadditional restrictions or limitations on operations of golf carts, utilityvehicles, or both, on public highways within its boundaries, provided thatthe restrictions or limitations imposed by any such ordinance are no lessstringent than the restrictions and limitations contained in this article. Inthe event that any provision of any such ordinance conflicts with anyprovision of this section, the provision of the ordinance shall becontrolling.
(2004, c. 746.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.