2006 Code of Virginia § 8.01-341.1 - Exemptions from jury service upon request
8.01-341.1. Exemptions from jury service upon request.
Any of the following persons may serve on juries in civil and criminal casesbut shall be exempt from jury service upon his request:
1. through 3. [Repealed.]
4. A mariner actually employed in maritime service,
5. through 7. [Repealed.]
8. A person who has legal custody of and is necessarily and personallyresponsible for a child or children 16 years of age or younger requiringcontinuous care by him during normal court hours, or any mother who isbreast-feeding a child,
9. A person who is necessarily and personally responsible for a person havinga physical or mental impairment requiring continuous care by him duringnormal court hours,
10. Any person over 70 years of age,
11. Any person whose spouse is summoned to serve on the same jury panel,
12. Any person who is the only person performing services for a business,commercial or agricultural enterprise and whose services are so essential tothe operations of the business, commercial or agricultural enterprise thatsuch enterprise must close or cease to function if such person is required toperform jury duty,
13. Any person employed by the Office of the Clerk of the House of Delegates,the Office of the Clerk of the Senate, the Division of Legislative Services,and the Division of Legislative Automated Systems, however, this exemptionshall apply only to jury service starting (i) during the period beginning 60days prior to the day any regular session commences and ending 30 days afterthe day of adjournment of such session and (ii) during the period beginningseven days prior to the day any reconvened or special session commences andending seven days after the day of adjournment of such session.
(Code 1970, 8-208.6:1; 1977, c. 458; 1987, c. 256; 1997, c. 693; 1999, c.153; 2004, c. 106; 2005, c. 195.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Virginia may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.