2014 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 9 - Civil Code-Ancillaries
RS 9:4821 - Ranking of privileges
§4821. Ranking of privileges
A. The privileges granted by R.S. 9:4801 and 4802 rank among themselves and as to other mortgages and privileges in the following order of priority:
(1) Privileges for ad valorem taxes or local assessments for public improvements against the property, liens, and privileges granted in favor of parishes for reasonable charges imposed on the property under R.S. 33:1236, liens and privileges granted in favor of municipalities for reasonable charges imposed on property under R.S. 33:4752, 4753, 4754, 4766, 5062, and 5062.1, and liens and privileges granted in favor of a parish or municipality for reasonable charges imposed on the property under R.S. 13:2575 are first in rank and concurrent regardless of the dates of recordation or notation of such liens and privileges in any public record, public office, or public document.
(2) Privileges granted by R.S. 9:4801(2) and 4802(A)(2) rank next and equally with each other.
(3) Bona fide mortgages or vendor's privileges that are effective as to third persons before the privileges granted by this Part are effective rank next and in accordance with their respective rank as to each other.
(4) Privileges granted by R.S. 9:4801(3) and (4) and 4802(A)(1), (3), and (4) rank next and equally with each other.
(5) Privileges granted by R.S. 9:4801(1) and (5) rank next and equally with each other.
(6) Other mortgages or privileges rank next and in accordance with their respective rank as to each other.
B. A person acquiring or intending to acquire a mortgage, privilege, or other right under R.S. 9:4820(D) shall have priority in accordance with the provisions of this Section, regardless of whether work has begun or materials were delivered to the jobsite after the effective date and time of the affidavit, but prior to the recordation of the mortgage, privilege, or other right, provided that the document creating the right was filed before or within four business days of the filing of the affidavit.
Acts 1990, No. 952, §1; Acts 1991, No. 353, §1; Acts 1995, No. 31, §2; Acts 1995, No. 1155, §1, eff. June 29, 1995; Acts 2004, No. 209, §1, eff. June 14, 2004; Acts 2012, No. 425, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.