Samuel Taylor v. Michael Miller, No. 17-1860 (8th Cir. 2017)

Annotate this Case

Court Description: Per Curiam - Before Shepherd, Murphy and Kelly, Circuit Judges] Prisoner case - Prisoner Civil Rights. Defendants' summary judgment affirmed without comment. [ December 27, 2017

Download PDF
United States Court of Appeals For the Eighth Circuit ___________________________ No. 17-1860 ___________________________ Samuel Lewis Taylor lllllllllllllllllllll Plaintiff - Appellant v. Michael Miller, CCM II, Potosi Correctional Center; Jason Crawford, Correctional Officer II, Potosi Correctional Center; Carl Gravett, Correctional Officer I, Potosi Correctional Center; Dorrain Johnson, Correctional Officer I, Potosi Correctional Center lllllllllllllllllllll Defendants - Appellees Troy Steele, Warden, Potosi Correctional Center; Christopher Lambert, Canteen Manager, Potosi Correctional Center; Clive Hedrick, Correctional Officer I, Potosi Correctional Center; John Schneedle, Correctional Officer I, Potosi Correctional Center; Eric Dunn, CCW II, Potosi Correctional Center lllllllllllllllllllll Defendants Stanley Pruett, CCW II, Potosi Correctional Center lllllllllllllllllllll Defendant - Appellee Unknown Culton, Correctional Officer I, Potosi Correctional Center lllllllllllllllllllll Defendant ____________ Appeal from United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri - St. Louis ____________ Submitted: December 7, 2017 Filed: December 28, 2017 [Unpublished] ____________ Before SHEPHERD, MURPHY, and KELLY, Circuit Judges. ____________ PER CURIAM. In this 42 U.S.C. § 1983 action brought by Missouri Department of Corrections inmate Samuel Taylor against Potosi Correctional Center staff, Taylor appeals following the district court’s1 adverse grant of summary judgment on his First Amendment retaliation claims. Following de novo review, we agree with the district court that there is insufficient support in the record for Taylor’s contention that defendants’ actions were motivated by retaliation. See Lewis v. Jacks, 486 F.3d 1025, 1028-29 (8th Cir. 2007). The judgment of the district court is affirmed in all respects, including the pre-service without-prejudice dismissal of some claims, for the reasons stated by the district court. See 8th Cir. R. 47B. ______________________________ 1 The Honorable Rodney W. Sippel, Chief Judge, for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. -2-

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.