Torres v. Holder, No. 13-2498 (2d Cir. 2014)

Annotate this Case
Justia Opinion Summary

Petitioner, a native and citizen of the Dominican Republic, was convicted of attempted arson in the third degree in violation of New York Penal Law sections 110 and 150.10. Petitioner claimed that his conviction is not an aggravated felony rendering him statutorily ineligible for cancellation of removal. Applying Chevron deference, the court deferred to the BIA's reasonable determination that a state "offense described in" 18 U.S.C. 844(i) need not contain a federal jurisdictional element. Accordingly, the court denied the petition.

Download PDF
13 2498  Luna Torres v. Holder    1  2  UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS  FOR THE SECOND CIRCUIT  3  August Term, 2013  (Argued:  May 5, 2014  4  Decided:  August 20, 2014)  Docket No. 13 2498  5    6  7  8  JORGE LUNA TORRES,  Petitioner,  9  v.  10  11  ERIC H. HOLDER, JR., Attorney General of the United States,  Respondent.*    12  13  Before:  SACK, RAGGI, and CHIN, Circuit Judges.  The petitioner, a lawful permanent resident of the United States, was  14  15  convicted of attempted arson in the third degree in violation of New York Penal  16  Law §§ 110 and 150.10.  A United States Immigration Judge determined that this  17  conviction was an Êºoffense described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i) and therefore  18  constituted an Êºaggravated felonyʺ rendering the petitioner ineligible for  19  cancellation of removal under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  See 8 U.S.C.  20  § 1101(a)(43)(E)(i).  The Board of Immigration Appeals affirmed, rejecting the  21  petitionerʹs argument that the state provision under which he was convicted is                                                                The Clerk of the Court is respectfully directed to amend the caption as set forth  above.  * 1    1  not an Êºoffense described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i) because it lacks a federal  2  jurisdictional element.  We conclude that under Chevron, U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural  3  Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 U.S. 837 (1984), we must defer to the  4  reasonable determination of the Board of Immigration Appeals that a state law  5  offense need not contain a federal jurisdictional element in order to qualify as an  6  ʺoffense described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i), and thereby constitute an aggravated  7  felony.  The petition is therefore  DENIED.    8  9  10  MATTHEW L. GUADAGNO, New York,  NY, for Petitioner.  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  REBECCA HOFFBERG PHILLIPS, Trial  Attorney (Stuart F. Delery, Assistant  Attorney General; William C. Peachey,  Assistant Director; Brianne Whelan Cohen,  Acting Senior Litigation Counsel, on the  brief), Civil Division, U.S. Department of  Justice, Washington, DC, for Respondent.  18  SACK, Circuit Judge:  We consider on this appeal whether a conviction under New York Penal  19  20  Law §§ 110 and 150.10 for attempted arson in the third degree constitutes an  21  ʺaggravated felonyʺ under the Immigration and Nationality Act (ʺINAʺ).  See 8  22  U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)(i).  Answering this question requires us to decide whether  23  this state crime, which lacks a federal jurisdictional element, is an Êºoffense  2    1  described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i), the federal statute governing explosive materials  2  offenses, which does contain such an element.  Because we defer to the BIAʹs  3  reasonable determination that a state Êºoffense described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i)  4  need not contain a federal jurisdictional element, we deny the petition.    BACKGROUND  5  Jorge Luna Torres, a native and citizen of the Dominican Republic and a  6  7  lawful permanent resident of the United States, was convicted in 1999 of  8  attempted arson in the third degree in violation of New York Penal Law §§ 110  9  and 150.10.   Luna1 was sentenced to one day of imprisonment and five years of  10  probation.   In 2006, Luna sought admission to the United States as a lawful  11  12  permanent resident after a trip abroad.  On March 13, 2007, the Immigration and  13  Naturalization Service issued a Notice to Appear charging Luna with  14  inadmissibility as an alien convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude.   Luna applied for cancellation of removal.  After a merits hearing, a United  15  16  States Immigration Judge (ʺIJʺ) found Luna removable as charged, a conclusion  17  which Luna does not challenge before this Court.  Relying on Matter of Bautista,                                                                Although the removal proceedings employ the petitionerʹs full name, Jorge Luna  Torres, he refers to himself as Jorge Luna.  We follow his preference here.       1 3    1  25 I. & N. Dec. 616 (BIA 2011), overruled by Bautista v. Attorney Gen., 744 F.3d 54  2  (3d Cir. 2014), the IJ also found Luna ineligible for cancellation of removal as a  3  permanent resident convicted of an aggravated felony, see 8 U.S.C. § 1229b(a)(3).   4  In Matter of Bautista, the Board of Immigration Appeals (ʺBIAʺ) had concluded  5  that a conviction under the same provision of the New York Penal Law  6  constitutes an aggravated felony under section 101(a)(43)(E)(i) of the INA as an  7  ʺoffense described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i).  Matter of Bautista, 25 I. & N. Dec. at 618 8  20; see 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)(i) (codifying INA § 101(a)(43)(E)(i)).  9  Luna appealed the denial of cancellation to the BIA.  He argued that the  10  agency should reconsider Matter of Bautista and that, if it did not, the decision  11  should not be applied retroactively to his case.  The BIA dismissed Lunaʹs  12  appeal, declining to reconsider Matter of Bautista and concluding that its effect  13  was not impermissibly retroactive.  Luna timely petitioned this Court for review,  14  repeating both of these arguments.    After briefing but before oral argument in Lunaʹs appeal, the Third Circuit  15  16  vacated the BIAʹs ruling in Matter of Bautista, concluding that the New York  17  arson statute did not qualify as an aggravated felony because it lacked the  18  federal jurisdictional element.  Bautista v. Attorney Gen., 744 F.3d 54, 56 (3d Cir.  4    1  2014).  The Third Circuitʹs decision conflicts with interpretations by the Fifth,  2  Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits of 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)ʹs Êºoffense described  3  inʺ language.  See Spacek v. Holder, 688 F.3d 536 (8th Cir. 2012) (interpreting  4  8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(J), relating to racketeering offenses); Nieto Hernandez v.  5  Holder, 592 F.3d 681 (5th Cir. 2009) (interpreting 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)(ii),  6  relating to firearms offenses); Negrete Rodriguez v. Mukasey, 518 F.3d 497 (7th Cir.  7  2008) (same); United States v. Castillo Rivera, 244 F.3d 1020 (9th Cir. 2001) (same).   8  We therefore requested supplemental briefing, which the parties submitted prior  9  to oral argument.   DISCUSSION  10  I. 11  Jurisdiction and Standard of Review  This Court lacks jurisdiction to review the BIAʹs denial of discretionary  12  13  relief from removal.  See 8 U.S.C. §§ 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii), 1229b(a).  But Lunaʹs claim  14  that his conviction is not an aggravated felony rendering him statutorily  15  ineligible for cancellation of removal raises a question of law which we retain  16  jurisdiction to review, id. § 1252(a)(2)(D), and which we evaluate under the  17  principles of deference set forth in Chevron, U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources  18  Defense Council, Inc., 467 U.S. 837 (1984).  5    II. 1  2  Whether a Violation of New York Penal Law § 150.10 Constitutes an  Aggravated Felony Under the INA  On appeal, Luna argues that Matter of Bautista was incorrectly decided  3  4  because Congress intended to define as Êºaggravated feloniesʺ only those state  5  law crimes encompassing all elements of the federal statute, including so called  6  ʺjurisdictionalʺ elements.  Because we defer to the BIAʹs reasonable conclusion to  7  the contrary, we reject this argument.     8  The Statutory Framework  Under the INA, an alien is ineligible for cancellation of removal if he has  9  10  been convicted of an aggravated felony.  8 U.S.C. § 1229b(a)(3).  The statute  11  defines the term Êºaggravated felonyʺ by enumerating an extensive catalogue of  12  crimes identified with varying degrees of specificity.  See id. § 1101(a)(43).  The  13  definitionʹs penultimate sentence also provides that Êº[t]he term applies to an  14  offense described in this paragraph whether in violation of Federal or State law  15  and applies to such an offense in violation of the law of a foreign country for  16  which the term of imprisonment was completed within the previous 15 years.ʺ   17  Id.    6    Among the offenses included under INA § 101(a)(43)ʹs definition is Êºan  1  2  offense described inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i).  See 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)(i).  That  3  section in turn provides:   Whoever  maliciously  damages  or  destroys,  or  attempts  to  damage  or destroy, by means of fire or an explosive, any building, vehicle, or  other  real  or  personal  property  used  in  interstate  or  foreign  commerce or in any activity affecting interstate or foreign commerce  shall  be  imprisoned  for  not  less  than  5  years  and  not  more  than  20  years, fined under this title, or both . . . .  4  5  6  7  8  9    10  11  18 U.S.C. § 844(i).  New York Penal Law § 150.10, under which Luna was  12  convicted, provides that Êº[a] person is guilty of arson in the third degree when he  13  intentionally damages a building or motor vehicle by starting a fire or causing an  14  explosion.ʺ  N.Y. Penal Law § 150.10(1).  The two statutes are substantially  15  similar except that 18 U.S.C. § 844(i) contains one element that the property  16  destroyed be Êºused in interstate or foreign commerce or in any activity affecting  17  interstate or foreign commerceʺ which New York Penal Law § 150.10 lacks.   18  The question this appeal poses is whether the New York provision must include  19  this jurisdictional element in order to qualify as an Êºoffense described inʺ the  20  federal statute.    7    1  The BIAʹs Decision in Matter of Bautista  The BIA confronted precisely this question in Matter of Bautista.  After  2  3  determining that New York Penal Law § 150.10 and 18 U.S.C. § 844(i) are  4  substantially similar except for the jurisdictional element, the BIA concluded that  5  its analysis in Matter of Vasquez Muniz, 23 I. & N. Dec. 207 (BIA 2002) (en banc),  6  controlled.  Matter of Bautista, 25 I. & N. Dec. at 618 20.   In Matter of Vasquez Muniz, the BIA decided that a conviction under the  7  8  California Penal Code for possession of a firearm by a felon constituted an  9  aggravated felony under 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)(ii) as an Êºoffense described inʺ  10  18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1).  Matter of Vasquez Muniz, 23 I. & N. Dec. at 213.  The BIA,  11  sitting en banc, reasoned that a state crime Êºdescribed inʺ a federal crime need not  12  reproduce the federal jurisdictional element.  Id.  The BIA concluded that the  13  penultimate sentence of section 1101(a)(43), which clarifies that the term  14  ʺaggravated felonyʺ applies to Êºan offense described in this paragraph whether in  15  violation of Federal or State lawʺ or Êºthe law of a foreign country,ʺ expressed a  16  congressional Êºconcern over substantive offenses rather than any concern about  17  the jurisdiction in which they are prosecuted.ʺ  Id. at 210 (emphasis added).  The  18  BIA also reasoned that, since states rarely include federal jurisdictional language  8    1  in their criminal statutes, requiring state crimes to reproduce federal  2  jurisdictional elements in order to constitute aggravated felonies would virtually  3  excise state criminal convictions from the ambit of section 1101(a)(43)(E), despite  4  clear language to the contrary.  Id. at 211 (citing 8 U.S.C. § 1231(a)(4)(B)(ii), which  5  refers to aliens Êºin the custody of a Stateʺ pursuant to a final conviction for an  6  offense described in 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)).  The same would be true, the BIA  7  concluded, of foreign offenses.  Id. at 211 12.    Applying this reasoning in Matter of Bautista, the BIA found no distinction  8  9  between the federal jurisdictional element of 18 U.S.C. §§ 844(i) and that of  10  922(g)(1).  Matter of Bautista, 25 I. & N. Dec. at 620.  The BIA also distinguished  11  the holding of Jones v. United States, 529 U.S. 848 (2000), which emphasized the  12  importance of section 844(i)ʹs federal jurisdictional element, as Êºrelated to the  13  scope of the Federal criminal statute, not the collateral consequences in an  14  immigration case.ʺ  Matter of Bautista, 25 I. & N. Dec. at 621.  The BIA therefore  15  concluded that a conviction under New York Penal Law §§ 110 and 150.10  16  constituted an aggravated felony rendering an alien ineligible for cancellation of  17  removal.  Id. at 622.    9    1  Our Analysis Under Chevron  2  Chevron requires us to defer to an agencyʹs reasonable interpretation of the  3  statute it administers.  Chevron, 467 U.S. at 842 44; Kar Onn Lee v. Holder, 701 F.3d  4  931, 936 (2d Cir. 2012).  We must first ask Êºwhether Congress has directly spoken  5  to the precise question at issue[,] . . . for the court, as well as the agency, must  6  give effect to the unambiguously expressed intent of Congress.ʺ  Chevron, 467  7  U.S. at 842 43.  Êº[I]f the statute is silent or ambiguous with respect to the specific  8  issue, the question for the court is whether the agencyʹs answer is based on a  9  permissible construction of the statute.ʺ  Id. at 843.  We must defer to the BIAʹs  10  interpretation of the INA unless it is Êºarbitrary, capricious, or manifestly contrary  11  to the statute.ʺ  Id. at 844.    ʺThe plainness or ambiguity of statutory language is determined by  12  13  reference to the language itself, the specific context in which that language is  14  used, and the broader context of the statute as a whole.ʺ  Kar Onn Lee, 701 F.3d at  15  936 (quoting Robinson v. Shell Oil Co., 519 U.S. 337, 341 (1997)) (internal quotation  16  marks omitted).  ÊºIn interpreting the statute at issue, we consider not only the  17  bare meaning of the critical word or phrase but also its placement and purpose in  18  the statutory scheme.ʺ  Id. (quoting Holloway v. United States, 526 U.S. 1, 6 (1999))  10    1  (internal quotation marks omitted).  Considering the language of clause  2  1101(a)(43)(E)(i) and its place in paragraph 1101(a)(43) and the INA as whole, we  3  conclude that the statute is ambiguous as to whether a state crime must contain a  4  federal jurisdictional element in order to constitute an aggravated felony.    Section 1101(a)ʹs paragraph 43 identifies crimes that constitute aggravated  5  6  felonies in three ways.  Some are indicated in terms of generic offenses or  7  offenses Êºrelating toʺ generic offenses.  See, e.g., 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(A)  8  (ʺmurder, rape, or sexual abuse of a minorʺ); id. § 1101(a)(43)(S) (ʺan offense  9  relating to obstruction of justice, perjury or subornation of perjury, or bribery of a  10  witnessʺ).  Others are referred to as offenses Êºdefined inʺ a particular federal  11  statute.  See, e.g., id. § 1101(a)(43)(B) (ʺillicit trafficking in a controlled substance  12  (as defined in section 802 of Title 21), including a drug trafficking crime (as  13  defined in section 924(c) of Title 18)ʺ).  And still others are denominated offenses  14  ʺdescribed inʺ a particular federal statute.  See, e.g., id. § 1101(a)(43)(E).  The  15  provision at issue here belongs in this last category.       Luna contends that, for a state offense to be one that is Êºdescribed inʺ a  16  17  federal statute, the elements of the state and federal crimes, including any  18  jurisdictional elements, must be identical.  See Petʹrʹs Br. at 13 17.  The Third  11    1  Circuit took a similar approach in rejecting the BIAʹs decision in Matter of  2  Bautista, concluding that state offenses Êºdescribed inʺ a federal statute must  3  reproduce the federal jurisdictional element to constitute aggravated felonies,  4  while offenses Êºdefined inʺ a federal statute need not.2  Bautista, 744 F.3d at 59.    5  We are inclined to disagree.  It seems to us, as it did to the Fifth, Seventh,  6  Eighth, and Ninth Circuits, that Êºdescribed inʺ is the broader standard, and that  7  an offense identified in this way need not reproduce the federal jurisdictional  8  element to have immigration consequences.  See Castillo Rivera, 244 F.3d at 1023  9  (stating that Congress ÊºÊ¹had to use some looser standard such as Êºdescribed inʺ  10  rather than the more precise standard of Êºdefined in,ʺ if it wanted more than a  11  negligible number of state offenses to count as aggravated feloniesʹʺ); Negrete 12  Rodriguez, 518 F.3d at 502, 503 (discussing Castillo Riveraʹs distinction between  13  ʺdescribed inʺ and Êºdefined inʺ and rejecting petitionerʹs argument that ÊºÊ¹defined  14  inʹ and Ê¹described inʹ are synonymousʺ); Nieto Hernandez, 592 F.3d at 685 86                                                                The Third Circuit also reasoned that if Congress had intended all state arson crimes  to constitute aggravated felonies, it could have written section 1101(a)(43)(E)(i) to refer  to the generic offense of arson rather than the federal statute governing explosives  offenses.  Bautista, 744 F.3d at 64.  While this argument is not without force, we find at  least equally persuasive the counterargument that Congress may have chosen to  indicate the covered crimes by referring to 18 U.S.C. § 844 because the explosives  offenses detailed therein are broader than generic or common law arson.  Cf. Negrete Rodriguez, 518 F.3d at 503 (ʺ[M]any firearms offenses are not susceptible to being easily  described in general terms . . . .ʺ).  2 12    1  (citing Negrete Rodriguez and Castillo Rivera); Spacek, 688 F.3d at 538 (ʺSection  2  1101(a)(43)(J) requires only Ê¹an offense described in section 1962 of title 18,ʹ while  3  Congress used the more restrictive construction Ê¹as defined inʹ elsewhere in the  4  statute.ʺ (emphases in original)); see also Bautista, 744 F.3d at 71 (Ambro, J.,  5  dissenting) (ʺTo me, the phrase Ê¹described inʹ refers broadly to the type of  6  offense.ʺ (emphasis in original)).    On the other hand, we do not think that this conclusion follows inexorably  7  8  from the INAʹs text and structure.  We are not fully convinced, for example, that  9  paragraph 43ʹs penultimate sentence unequivocally expresses Congressʹs intent  10  to discount federal jurisdictional elements when determining whether a state  11  offense is Êºdescribed inʺ a federal statute.  The BIA has reasoned and the  12  government has argued that the penultimate sentence which states that the  13  term Êºaggravated felonyʺ Êºapplies to an offense described in this paragraph  14  whether in violation ofʺ federal, state, or foreign law requires this  15  interpretation, because otherwise section 1101(a)(43)(E) would capture few, if  16  any, state crimes.  See Matter of Bautista, 25 I. & N. Dec. at 619 20; Respʹtʹs Br. at  17  21 24.  We think, though, that the penultimate sentence could also be read to  18  make clear that an offense will not be exempted from the definition of an  13    1  ʺaggravated felonyʺ merely because it was a violation of state or foreign, rather  2  than federal, law.  This reading would not require the result that the government  3  and the BIA appear to have reached.  We therefore are not persuaded that the  4  penultimate sentence evinces an unambiguously expressed congressional intent.     The BIA also determined in Matter of Bautista, and the government argues  5  6  on appeal, that reading 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43) to require state offenses to include a  7  federal jurisdictional element renders meaningless another provision of the  8  Immigration and Naturalization Act.  See Matter of Bautista, 25 I. & N. Dec. at 620  9  (citing Matter of Vasquez Muniz, 23 I. & N. Dec. at 212); Respʹtʹs Br. at 25.  That  10  provision refers to the removal of aliens who are held Êºin the custody of a  11  State . . . pursuant to a final conviction for . . . an offense described inʺ 8 U.S.C.  12  § 1101(a)(43)(E), among other provisions.  8 U.S.C. § 1231(a)(4)(B)(ii).  We agree  13  with the BIA and the government that this provision suggests that at least some  14  state offenses must constitute aggravated felonies under subparagraph (E), or  15  there could be no individuals held in state custody pursuant to crimes  16  ʺdescribedʺ there.  But this fact alone does not compel the conclusion that  17  Congress has spoken unequivocally regarding whether a state offense Êºdescribed  18  inʺ 18 U.S.C. § 844(i) must reproduce that statuteʹs jurisdictional element.    14    Because we conclude that the statute is ambiguous, we owe deference to  1  2  the BIAʹs interpretation unless it is unreasonable.  See Chevron, 467 U.S. at 842 43;  3  Rotimi v. Holder, 577 F.3d 133, 139 (2d Cir. 2009).  As already indicated, we find  4  persuasive the BIAʹs reading of the relevant statutory provisions as set forth in  5  Matter of Bautista and might well adopt it ourselves,3 were we not constrained to  6  do so in any event by Chevron.  It is noteworthy, too, that the BIAʹs interpretation  7  is consonant with the conclusions of the Fifth, Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth  8  Circuits concerning related provisions of paragraph 43.  We therefore defer to the  9  BIAʹs Êºpermissible constructionʺ of section 1101(a)(43)(E)(i).4  See Kar Onn Lee, 701  10  F.3d at 937.  III. 11  Whether Applying Matter of Bautista Is Impermissibly Retroactive  12  In the alternative, Luna argues that Matter of Bautista cannot be applied  13  retroactively to him because the decision represented Êºsuch a departure from  14  past practices by the [BIA]ʺ that he lacked notice that the state arson crime to                                                                Even if we were to decide that the BIAʹs reading of the statute is clearly preferable to  the Petitionerʹs, it would not follow that the provision is unambiguous and that Chevron  deference is therefore not required.  Equipoise is not a precondition to a finding of  ambiguity.      4 For this reason, we reject Lunaʹs argument that the rule of lenity should be applied to  his case.  See Adams v. Holder, 692 F.3d 91, 107 (2d Cir. 2012) (stating that lenity enters  only Êºwhen none of the other canons of statutory interpretation is capable of resolving  the statuteʹs meaning and the BIA has not offered a reasonable interpretation of the  statuteʺ (internal quotation marks omitted)).  3 15    1  which he pled guilty would be deemed an aggravated felony.  Petʹrʹs Br. 30.  We  2  see no obstacle to Matter of Bautistaʹs application in Lunaʹs case.    Lunaʹs 1999 conviction postdated the 1996 enactment of 8 U.S.C.  3  4  § 1101(a)(43).  See Guaylupo Moya v. Gonzales, 423 F.3d 121, 126 27 (2d Cir. 2005).   5  In relying on Matter of Bautista, the BIA therefore Êºdid not retroactively apply a  6  new law but instead applied [its] determination of what the law Ê¹had always  7  meant.ʹʺ  De Quan Yu v. U.S. Attorney Gen., 568 F.3d 1328, 1333 (11th Cir. 2009)  8  (per curiam) (emphasis in original) (quoting Rivers v. Roadway Express, Inc., 511  9  U.S. 298, 313, n. 12 (1994)).  Once Matter of Bautista issued, Êºthat decision became  10  the controlling interpretation of the law and was entitled to full retroactive effect  11  in all cases still open on direct review, regardless of whether the events predated  12  the . . . decision.ʺ  Id. at 1334; see also Rivers, 511 U.S. at 312 (ʺThe essence of  13  judicial decisionmaking applying general rules to particular situations 14  necessarily involves some peril to individual expectations because it is often  15  difficult to predict the precise application of a general rule until it has been  16  distilled in the crucible of litigation.ʺ).  Matter of Bautista therefore governs Lunaʹs  17  case.     16    CONCLUSION  1  For the foregoing reasons, we defer to the BIAʹs determination, which we  2  3  conclude is reasonable, that a conviction under New York Penal Law §§ 110  4  and 150.10 constitutes an aggravated felony under 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(43)(E)(i),  5  rendering an alien ineligible for cancellation of removal.  Lunaʹs petition is  6  therefore DENIED.     17   

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.