Jose Yanes v. U.S. Attorney General, No. 11-11935 (11th Cir. 2012)

Annotate this Case
Download PDF
[DO NOT PUBLISH] IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT ________________________ FILED U.S. COURT OF APPEALS ELEVENTH CIRCUIT No. 11-11935 JAN 10, 2012 Non-Argument Calendar JOHN LEY ________________________ CLERK Agency No. A094-443-089 JOSE SANTOS YANES, a.k.a. Jose S. Yanes Bonilla, Petitioner, versus U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL, Respondent. __________________________ Petition for Review of a Decision of the Board of Immigration Appeals _________________________ (January 10, 2012) Before TJOFLAT, PRYOR and FAY, Circuit Judges. PER CURIAM: Jose Santos Yanes appeals the decision of the Board of Immigration Appeals that affirmed the denial of his application for cancellation of removal. 8 U.S.C. § 1229b(b)(1). The Board found that Yanes was ineligible for cancellation of removal because he had been convicted of a crime of domestic violence, id. § 1227(a)(2)(E)(i). We deny Yanes s petition. The decision of the Board is consistent with the plain language of the statutes that govern cancellation of removal. Section 1229b(b)(1) provides that, in cases of exceptional hardship, [t]he Attorney General may cancel removal of . . . an alien who is inadmissible or deportable if he has remained in the United States continually for ten years, has been a person of good moral character, and has not been convicted of an offense under . . . [8 U.S.C. §§] 1182(a)(2), 1227(a)(2), or 1227(a)(3). Section 1227(a)(2)(E)(i) prohibits an alien from committing any crime of violence . . . against a current or former spouse. Yanes does not deny that, in 2002, he was convicted in a Georgia court of hitting his wife, which is a disqualifying offense under sections 1229b(b)(1) and 1227(a)(2). See Matter of Cortez, 25 I. & N. Dec. 301, 310 (2010). Regardless of his status as an arriving alien or his eligibility for the exception for petty offenses, see 8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(2)(A)(ii), Yanes is ineligible for cancellation of removal. See Matter of Almanza-Arenas, 24 I. & N. Dec. 771, 776 (2009). 2 We DENY Yanes s petition. 3

Some case metadata and case summaries were written with the help of AI, which can produce inaccuracies. You should read the full case before relying on it for legal research purposes.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.