2019 Wyoming Statutes
Title 31 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 18 - Commercial Vehicles
Article 6 - Regulation of Traffic on Highways
Section 31-18-602 - Moving Heavy Equipment at Railroad Grade Crossings.

Universal Citation: WY Stat § 31-18-602 (2019)

31-18-602. Moving heavy equipment at railroad grade crossings.

(a) No person shall operate or move any crawler-type tractor, steam shovel, derrick, roller or any equipment or structure having a normal operating speed of ten (10) or less miles per hour or a vertical body or load clearance of less than one-half (1/2) inch per foot of the distance between any two (2) adjacent axles or in any event of less than nine (9) inches, measured above the level surface of a roadway, upon or across any tracks at a railroad grade crossing without first complying with this section.

(b) Notice of the intended crossing shall be given to a station agent of the railroad and a reasonable time shall be given to the railroad to provide proper protection at the crossing.

(c) Before making the crossing the person operating or moving the vehicle or equipment shall first stop the vehicle or equipment not less than fifteen (15) feet nor more than fifty (50) feet from the nearest rail of the railroad and while so stopped shall listen and look in both directions along the track for any approaching train or other on-track equipment and for signals indicating the approach of a train or other on-track equipment. The vehicle shall not proceed until the crossing can be made safely.

(d) No crossing shall be made when warning is given by automatic signal, crossing gates or a flagman or otherwise of the immediate approach of a railroad train, other on-track equipment or car. If a flagman is provided by the railroad, movement over the crossing shall be under his direction.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wyoming may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.