2020 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 125. Alcohol beverages.
125.66 Sale without license; failure to obtain permit; penalties.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 125.66 (2020)

125.66 Sale without license; failure to obtain permit; penalties.

(1) No person may sell, or possess with intent to sell, intoxicating liquor unless that person holds the appropriate license or permit. Whoever violates this subsection may be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than 9 months or both.

(2) The issuance of any current permit or special tax stamp of the federal government to any person, authorizing or permitting the person to sell intoxicating liquor, shall be prima facie evidence in any prosecution for violation of this section that the person was engaged in selling intoxicating liquor.

(3) Any person manufacturing or rectifying intoxicating liquor without holding appropriate permits under this chapter, or any person who sells such liquor, is guilty of a Class F felony.

(4) Notwithstanding sub. (1) and s. 125.04 (1), a “Class A" licensee who sells intoxicating liquor to a “Class B" licensee for resale may be fined not more than $100.

History: 1981 c. 79; 1989 a. 253; 1995 a. 27; 1997 a. 283; 2001 a. 109.

A license never should have been issued when a notice of application had not been published as required under s. 125.04 (3) (g), and a license issued without publication is void under s. 125.04 (2). Selling liquor under a void license constitutes a violation of s. 125.66 (1). Under s. 125.12, a renewal licensee, if refused, is guaranteed a right to be heard by the municipality, and the municipality must show cause for refusal, but a new licensee, if refused, has no such guarantee. When an original license is void, the applicant is a new licensee. Williams v. City of Lake Geneva, 2002 WI App 95, 253 Wis. 2d 618, 643 N.W.2d 864, 01-1733.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.