2019 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 616. Miscellaneous insurers.
616.56 Form filing and required disclosures.
616.56 Form filing and required disclosures.
(1) A service contract may not be marketed, sold, offered for sale, issued, made, proposed to be made, or administered in this state unless the service contract has been filed with and approved by the commissioner in a manner and format prescribed by the commissioner. Service contracts shall be filed in the final printed format or typed facsimile exactly as they will be offered for issuance or delivery in this state.
(2) Service contracts shall be written, printed, or typed in commonly understood language, shall be legible, appropriately divided, and captioned by their various sections, and their various sections shall be presented in a meaningful sequence. Contract filings shall be accompanied by a certificate of compliance and readability signed by an officer of the provider or administrator submitting the contract for review and approval.
(3) Service contracts shall contain the following statement printed in bold and capitalized type: “THIS CONTRACT IS SUBJECT TO LIMITED REGULATION BY THE OFFICE OF THE COMMISSIONER OF INSURANCE."
(4) Service contracts insured under a reimbursement insurance policy pursuant to s. 616.54 (6) shall contain a statement in substantially the following form: “Obligations of the provider under this service contract are insured under a service contract reimbursement insurance policy." The service contract shall state the name and address of the insurer; state that if a provider does not provide, or reimburse or pay for, a service that is covered under a service contract within 60 days after a contract holder provides proof of loss, or if the provider becomes insolvent or otherwise financially impaired, the contract holder may file a claim directly with the service contract reimbursement insurer for reimbursement, payment, or provision of the service; and state the instructions on how to file a claim.
(5) Service contracts not insured under a reimbursement insurance policy pursuant to s. 616.54 (6) shall contain a statement in substantially the following form: “Obligations of the provider under this service contract are backed by the full faith and credit of the provider."
(6) Service contracts shall state the name and address of the provider, and shall identify any administrator that is different from the provider, the service contract seller, and the service contract holder, if the name of the service contract holder has been furnished by the service contract holder. The identities of such parties are not required to be preprinted on the service contract and may be added to the service contract at the time of sale.
(7) Service contracts shall state the total purchase price and the terms under which the service contract is sold. The purchase price is not required to be preprinted on the service contract and may be negotiated at the time of sale with the service contract holder.
(8) Service contracts shall identify any applicable deductible amount.
(9) Service contracts shall specify the merchandise and services to be provided and any limitations, exceptions, or exclusions.
(10) Service contracts covering motor vehicles shall state whether the use of nonoriginal manufacturers' parts is allowed.
(11) Service contracts shall state any applicable restrictions governing the transferability of the service contract.
(12) Service contracts shall state the terms, restrictions, or conditions governing cancellation of the service contract by the provider prior to the termination or expiration date of the service contract. A service contract may be cancelled by a provider only for nonpayment of the provider fee, material misrepresentation by the contract holder to the provider or administrator, or substantial breach of duties by the service contract holder relating to the covered product or its use. A provider shall comply with all of the following when cancelling a service contract:
(a) The provider shall mail a written notice to the service contract holder at the last-known address of the service contract holder contained in the records of the provider at least 5 days prior to cancellation by the provider.
(b) The notice under par. (a) shall state the effective date of the cancellation and the reason for the cancellation.
(c) If a service contract is cancelled by the provider for a reason other than nonpayment of the provider fee, the provider shall refund to the service contract holder 100 percent of the unearned pro rata provider fee, less any claims paid.
(d) A provider may charge a reasonable administrative fee for cancellation, which may not exceed 10 percent of the provider fee.
(13) Service contracts shall set forth all of the obligations and duties of the service contract holder, including the duty to protect against any further damage and any requirement to follow the owner's manual.
(14) Service contracts shall state whether or not the service contract provides for or excludes consequential damages or preexisting conditions. Service contracts may, but are not required to, cover damage resulting from rust, corrosion, or damage caused by a noncovered part or system.
(15) Service contracts shall require the provider to permit the service contract holder to return the service contract within 20 days of the date the service contract was mailed to the service contract holder, or within 10 days of delivery if the service contract is delivered to the service contract holder at the time of sale, or within a longer period permitted under the service contract. Upon return of the service contract to the provider within the applicable period, if no claim has been made under the service contract prior to its return to the provider, the service contract is void and the provider shall refund to the service contract holder, or credit the account of the service contract holder, the full purchase price of the service contract. Unless otherwise stated in a service contract, the right to void a service contract under this paragraph is not transferable and shall apply only to the original service contract purchaser. If a provider does not pay or credit a refund within 45 days after the return of a service contract to the provider, the provider shall pay a 10 percent per month penalty of the refund amount outstanding which the provider shall add to amount of the refund.
(16) Service contracts shall provide that, subsequent to the period specified in sub. (15) for voiding a service contract or if a claim has been made under a service contract within such period, a service contract holder may cancel the service contract and the provider shall refund to the service contract holder 100 percent of the unearned pro rata provider fee, less any claims paid. A provider may charge a reasonable administrative fee for the cancellation, which may not exceed 10 percent of the provider fee.
(17) A service contract shall be subject to s. 631.85.
(18) In the event of a total loss of property covered by a service contract that is not covered by a replacement of the property pursuant to the terms of the contract, a service contract holder shall be entitled to cancel the service contract and receive a pro rata refund of any unearned provider fee, less any claims paid.
History: 2011 a. 226; 2013 a. 165 s. 115.