2019 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 174. Dogs.
(1) Responsibility to list. Every town, village and city shall annually, by September 1, ascertain by diligent inquiry the dogs owned or kept within the assessment district.
(2) Listing official; generally. In a city or village the listing official is the municipal clerk, unless the common council or village board provides by ordinance or resolution for the appointment of a different person. In a town, the town board shall designate a person to be the listing official.
(a) Except as provided in par. (b), a listing official who is not a full-time, salaried municipal employee shall receive as compensation 50 cents for each dog listed, or a greater amount established by the county board by ordinance or resolution, to be audited and allowed by the county board as other claims against the county and to be paid out of the dog license fund. A listing official who is a full-time, salaried municipal employee shall receive this compensation from the county board but shall be required to pay the compensation into the town, village, or city treasury.
(b) In a county in which an agreement under s. 174.10 (2) is in effect, the intergovernmental commission shall pay the compensation required under par. (a).
(4) Cooperation with listing official. Every person shall answer frankly and fully all questions asked by the listing official relative to the ownership or keeping of dogs within the district.
(5) Records. The listing official shall enter in the records for personal property assessments, or in a separate record, all dogs in the district subject to tax, to whom they are assessed, the name, number, sex, spayed or unspayed, neutered or unneutered, breed and color of each dog. The listing official shall make in triplicate a list of the owners of all dogs assessed.
(6) Multiple dog license records. The listing official shall make in triplicate a list of the names of persons holding multiple dog licenses and the number of dogs kept by each of those persons.
(7) List delivery. The listing official shall, by September 15, deliver one copy of the list under sub. (5) or (6) to the county clerk and one copy to the official to whom license taxes are paid under s. 174.08, and retain one copy for his or her files.
(8) Assessment or tax roll. Dog licenses need not be entered on any assessment or tax roll other than the lists prepared by the listing official under subs. (5) and (6). These lists may be deemed property assessment and tax rolls for all tax collection purposes.
History: 1973 c. 90, 333; 1975 c. 290, 421; 1977 c. 29 s. 1650m (4); 1979 c. 289; 1981 c. 285, 314; 1983 a. 451; 2001 a. 16; 2003 a. 133.