2018 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 562. Regulation of racing and on-track pari-mutuel wagering.
562.04 Racing officials.
562.04 Racing officials.
(a) Three stewards shall preside over races conducted at a racetrack not at a fair. At least 2 of those stewards shall be employees of the department or providing services to the department under a professional services contract. The rate of compensation of stewards serving under contract to the department shall be commensurate with the rate of compensation established for stewards employed by the department, but less than the rate established for the chief steward. Stewards presiding over a racetrack shall do all of the following:
1. Ensure that races are conducted under the rules of the department.
2. Supervise racing and the racetrack to ensure the integrity of races.
3. Certify the official results of races.
4. Settle any dispute arising from racing.
5. Perform any other duty assigned by the department.
(b) If one or more stewards have reasonable cause to believe that a person holding a license under s. 562.05 (1) (d) has violated this chapter or rules of the department relating to pari-mutuel racing or engaged in any other conduct which in the opinion of the stewards adversely affects the integrity of racing, the following procedures apply:
1. The 3 stewards shall meet within 3 working days after any one of them has reasonable cause to believe that the alleged violation or conduct occurred.
2. The stewards shall notify the licensee of the time, date and location of the meeting, the specific conduct constituting the alleged offense and the right of the licensee to be present at the meeting, to address stewards at the meeting and to have counsel or an observer of the licensee's choosing present at the meeting.
3. A meeting of the stewards under this paragraph is not a contested case under s. 227.01 (3).
4. If at least 2 stewards determine that the violation or conduct has occurred, the stewards may, under the schedule established by the department under s. 562.02 (1) (f), suspend a license issued under s. 562.05 (1) (d) for a period not to exceed 90 days or impose a forfeiture not to exceed $2,000 or both; or recommend that the department suspend a license for more than 90 days or impose a forfeiture exceeding $2,000 or both. Fifty percent of the moneys received under this subdivision shall be credited to the appropriation accounts under ss. 20.455 (2) (g) and 20.505 (8) (g).
5. After the meeting under subd. 1., the stewards shall submit, in writing, all findings and conclusions from that meeting to the licensee and the department, including the sanctions, if any, imposed by the stewards and shall provide the licensee who is the subject of the meeting with a notice of his or her right to appeal the decision under subd. 6. Within 7 days after receiving the decision, the licensee shall pay any forfeitures imposed by the stewards, regardless of whether the decision is appealed or stayed under subd. 6.
6. Any person adversely affected by a decision issued under subd. 4. may appeal that decision to the department. The appeal shall be filed with the department within 7 days after receipt of that written decision. An appeal does not automatically stay the decision of the stewards. Any person may request that the administrator stay that decision pending the decision of the department on the appeal. If the administrator receives such a request and determines that the stay will not adversely affect public safety or welfare or the safety or welfare of an animal, the administrator shall order the stay. The procedure for the appeal under this subdivision is under ch. 227. If part or all of any forfeiture imposed under subd. 5. is refunded to the licensee under this subdivision, the refund shall include interest calculated at the rate of 9 percent per year on that amount. The decision of the department on the appeal shall be the final administrative decision on any action of the stewards under subd. 4.
(2) Other racing officials. The department shall, by rule, specify all of the following:
(a) Racing officials, in addition to stewards, required for races conducted at a racetrack not at a fair.
(b) All racing officials, including stewards, required for races conducted under a license issued under s. 562.05 (1) (c).
(c) Qualifications for stewards serving under sub. (1) and for other racing officials serving under pars. (a) and (b).
(d) A fee for the supervision of racing by stewards or other racing officials employed by or under contract with the department. Any moneys received under this paragraph shall be credited to the appropriation accounts under ss. 20.455 (2) (g) and 20.505 (8) (g).
History: 1987 a. 354; 1989 a. 31; 1991 a. 269; 1993 a. 84; 1995 a. 27 s. 9123 (6pp); 1997 a. 27.