2018 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 54. Guardianships and conservatorships.
54.950 Definitions. In this subchapter:
(1) “Adult" means an individual who is at least 18 years of age.
(2) “Beneficiary" means an individual for whom property has been transferred to or held under a declaration of trust by a custodial trustee for the individual's use and benefit under this subchapter.
(3) Notwithstanding s. 54.01 (3), “conservator" means a person appointed or qualified by a court by voluntary proceedings to manage the estate of an individual, or a person legally authorized to perform substantially the same functions.
(4) Notwithstanding s. 54.01 (4), “court" means the circuit court of this state.
(5) “Custodial trustee" means a person designated as trustee of a custodial trust under this subchapter or a substitute or successor to the person designated.
(6) “Custodial trustee property" means an interest in property transferred to or held under a declaration of trust by a custodial trustee under this subchapter and the income from and proceeds of that interest.
(7) Notwithstanding s. 54.01 (10), “guardian" means a person appointed or qualified by a court as a guardian of the person or estate, or both, of an individual, including a guardian with limited powers, but not a person who is only a guardian ad litem.
(8) “Incapacitated" means lacking the ability to manage property and business affairs effectively by reason of mental illness, mental deficiency, physical illness or disability, chronic use of drugs, chronic intoxication, confinement, detention by a foreign power, disappearance, minority or other disabling cause.
(9) “Legal representative" means a personal representative, conservator or guardian of the estate.
(10) “Member of the beneficiary's family" means a beneficiary's spouse, descendant, stepchild, parent, stepparent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt, whether of the whole or half blood or by adoption.
(11) “Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, joint venture, association or any other legal or commercial entity.
(12) Notwithstanding s. 54.01 (23), “personal representative" means an executor, administrator or special administrator of a decedent's estate, a person legally authorized to perform substantially the same functions or a successor to any of them.
(13) “State" means a state, territory or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
(14) “Transferor" means a person who creates a custodial trust by transfer or declaration.
(15) “Trust company" means a financial institution, corporation or other legal entity, authorized to exercise general trust powers.
History: 1991 a. 246; 2005 a. 387 s. 554; Stats. 2005 s. 54.950.