2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 938. Juvenile justice code.
938.385 Plan for transition to independent living.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 938.385 (2017)

938.385 Plan for transition to independent living. During the 90 days immediately before a juvenile who is placed in a foster home, group home, or residential care center for children and youth, in the home of a relative other than a parent, or in a supervised independent living arrangement attains 18 years of age or, if the juvenile is placed in such a placement under an order under s. 938.355, 938.357, or 938.365 that terminates under s. 938.355 (4) (am) after the juvenile attains 18 years of age or under a voluntary transition-to-independent-living agreement under s. 938.366 (3) that terminates under s. 938.366 (3) (a) after the juvenile attains 18 years of age, during the 90 days immediately before the termination of the order or agreement, the agency primarily responsible for providing services to the juvenile under the order or agreement shall do all of the following:

(1)Transition plan. Provide the juvenile with assistance and support in developing a plan for making the transition from out-of-home care to independent living. The transition plan shall be personalized at the direction of the juvenile, shall be as detailed as the juvenile directs, and shall include specific options for obtaining housing, health care, education, mentoring and continuing support services, and workforce support and employment services.

(2)Identification documents and other information. Except as provided in this subsection, ensure that the juvenile is in possession of a certified copy of the juvenile's birth certificate, a social security card issued by the federal social security administration, information on maintaining health care coverage, a copy of the juvenile's health care records, and either an operator's license issued under ch. 343 or an identification card issued under s. 343.50. If the juvenile is not in possession of any of those documents or that information, the agency shall assist the juvenile in obtaining any missing document or information. This subsection does not apply to a juvenile who has been placed in out-of-home care for less than 6 months.

History: 2013 a. 334; 2015 a. 55, 128.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.