2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 781. Extraordinary remedies.
781.03 Transmittal of record.

Universal Citation: WI Stat § 781.03 (2017)

781.03 Transmittal of record.

(1) In an action or proceeding seeking an extraordinary remedy for which a record must be reviewed, the defendant shall cause the record to be transmitted to the clerk of court in which the action or proceeding is pending or shall give notice of the pendency of the action to the person in possession of the record. The person in possession of the record shall transmit the record to the clerk upon receipt of the notice.

(2) If the party seeking the extraordinary remedy is incarcerated, whoever transmits the record to the clerk shall forthwith provide a copy of the record so transmitted to the incarcerated party, except as such transmittal may be limited by the court upon motion for good cause. If the incarcerated party is represented by an attorney in the matter, the copy of the record shall be provided to the attorney rather than the incarcerated party. The cost of preparing and forwarding the copy shall not be taxed against a petitioner who has filed and received approval of an affidavit under s. 814.29 (1).

History: 1981 c. 289; Sup. Ct. Order, 149 Wis. 2d xv (1989).

Judicial Council Note, 1981: This rule will be used most often in a certiorari action in which a proceeding in an inferior tribunal or body is reviewed on the record. It puts the ultimate responsibility for transmitting the record on the person in possession of the record. [Bill 613-A]

Judicial Council Note, 1989: Sub. (2) requires that a copy of the record be furnished to incarcerated persons because they cannot examine it at the courthouse. If prisoners have filed affidavits of indigency, the cost of compliance cannot be taxed against them. [Re Order effective 7-1-89]

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Wisconsin may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.